Router MTU and OS MTU

Old July 16th 03, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Trueman

Default Router MTU and OS MTU

I change my Netgear DG814 MTU size to something like 1458 (certainly less
than the defauly 1500) and things like email, web, news, ftp, and so on
worked just fine. But when using my companies VPN software to access
internal servers I found that some were unavailable and that their network
code reported errors.

I'm wondering what might have caused this.

For example, I only change the MTU size on the router, not on all the
connected computers. Should I harmonise the settings?

Thanks.

Chris.
Old July 16th 03, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Jenkins

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 06:36:44 +0000 (UTC), Chris Trueman
wrote:

I change my Netgear DG814 MTU size to something like 1458 (certainly less
than the defauly 1500) and things like email, web, news, ftp, and so on
worked just fine. But when using my companies VPN software to access
internal servers I found that some were unavailable and that their network
code reported errors.

I'm wondering what might have caused this.

For example, I only change the MTU size on the router, not on all the
connected computers. Should I harmonise the settings?

Chris,

I doubt the MTU would cause this. I too use an 'internal' version of
my companies VPN software (actually its written by AT&T *just* incase
we're on the same payroll, here). Altering the MTU between a router
and clients and on the router itself seems to make no difference in
reality to server availability on the 'inside'.

What OS codes were reported ? What OSs ?
--
Andy Jenkins
www.btofaq.net