extended BT points

Old July 16th 03, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dA mAn

Default extended BT points

fast and 56k shouldn't be used in the same sentence

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Michael Klontzas wrote:
I was about to activate ADSL on my BT line but suddenly I thought about

potential complication. When BT installed my line, they basically
extended a pre-existing cable terminating at the BT point on the second
floor, supplying a telephone line to my landlady. My guess is that they
used the redundant wires in the original cable/socket to supply the
second line inside the house. IOW my line has nothing to do with the
first line, which explains why I get very fast 56K connections, and my
ADSL will not affect the first line in any way. If this is true I won't
have to interfere with the first BT point at all. I'll just have to
install a microfilter on the second BT point. Any ideas?

BT will often run a multi pair cable up to a house (either via a
overhead wire, or more often these days an underground cable) and
terminate it at an external junction box. They then often cable the
final bit from the junction box outside to the master socket inside with
normal domestic three pair cable.

Since each line only requires one pair of wires, it quite normal to have
several lines share this final cable.

So if that is what you are describing, then yes you are correct - ADSL
on your line will have no effect on the other line even if it is carried
on a different pair on the same cable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 16th 03, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

fast and 56k shouldn't be used in the same sentence

It is compared to the speeds I sometimes get on my BT line, GSM is
often quicker {& I work for the company ;-( }
--
B-)
Life is pain.....