Blueyonder : Motorola cable Modem

Old July 16th 03, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Neil Pollicott

Default Blueyonder : Motorola cable Modem

"Graham in Melton" wrote in message
I am going to assist a friend who wants a small network to feed into her
Blueyonder service - she has a Motorola cable modem, cream coloured

standing
next to her PC.

I am looking for some product information to do some groundwork before I

get
there - anyone point me at a manual as I donąt know what sort it is

exactly.

Thanks

A cheap ethernet - ethernet router (often referred to as a broadband router)
is probably your best option. You would have to register the MAC address of
the router with Telewest (you can do this through their self care section of
the telewest website) or the router may support 'spoofing' is which case you
can program it with the MAC address of the NIC currently connected to the
router and it should connect fine.

Some (if not all) of the cable modems supplied by BY could be used as a
router in theory, but BY block the service to allow traffic from only 1 MAC
address through.

--
Neil Pollicott www.cti-uk.com
replace spam with neil to mail me!