Netgear DG814 Firmware 4.8 problems

Old July 16th 03, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mal Ice

Default Netgear DG814 Firmware 4.8 problems

I have a problem with the 4.8 firmaware. I have done a factory reset and tried
to manually enter settings (as suggested in previous posts). However, I am
unable to do so. Every time I press "Apply" I either get a string of font names
or I get the help file repeated in the middle of the config panel. If I tried
to "upgrade" to a previous version the "post-query" screen returns the font
names and the upgrade is not done. I cannot edit or change port forwarding at
all which has now got errors as my VPN now does not work.

Any ideas as to how to get sorted? Netgear say there are no reported issues
with 4.8

TIA

Mal
Old July 17th 03, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mal Ice

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:31:00 +0100, "Phil" wrotf:

"Ian Jefferies" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:36:58 +0100, Mal Ice
wrote:
I have a problem with the 4.8 firmaware. I have done a factory reset and

tried
to manually enter settings (as suggested in previous posts). However, I

am
unable to do so. Every time I press "Apply" I either get a string of

font names
or I get the help file repeated in the middle of the config panel. If I

tried
to "upgrade" to a previous version the "post-query" screen returns the

font
names and the upgrade is not done. I cannot edit or change port

forwarding at
all which has now got errors as my VPN now does not work.

Any ideas as to how to get sorted? Netgear say there are no reported

issues
with 4.8

I've encountered similar operational behaviour with a DM602. While the
docs state that IE 5.0 is required, the web config pages only worked
with IE 5.5. Mozilla 1.4 didn't work either.

Ian.
--
Ian Jefferies
(e-mail will bounce, use Reply-To or send to "news001 at" instead)

This is also mentioned on the ADSL guide forums.

Looks like something to do with the browser versions.

Im using 4.9 RC1 with no probs (IE6)

Cheers

Phil

I'm using IE 6 too!
Old July 17th 03, 01:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian McMillan

Phil wrote in message

Im using 4.9 RC1 with no probs (IE6)

Where did you get this from?

Cheers,
Ian
--
Ian McMillan - HTML is for web pages, not e-mail or usenet!

Old July 17th 03, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mal Ice

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:28:14 +0100, "Phil" wrotf:

"Ian McMillan" wrote in message
. ..
Phil wrote in message

Im using 4.9 RC1 with no probs (IE6)

Where did you get this from?

Cheers,
Ian
--
Ian McMillan - HTML is for web pages, not e-mail or usenet!

It looks like some of Netgears guys post onto the ADSL guide boards.

Check out this link
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...umber=79263 0

Cheers.

I spoke with Netgear direct this morning. THe problem was found and remedied in
2 minutes!! It was Norton Internet Security!! I disabled it, cleared the
browser cache and offline content. No more errors! Whoa whoa!

Excellent fault diagnosis. Well done Netgear.
Old July 17th 03, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message

"Ian Jefferies" wrote in message
Any ideas as to how to get sorted? Netgear say there are no reported

issues
with 4.8

I have not encountered THIS problem - but I have seen another bug in 4.8.

After turning on the router and booting my computer it invariably fails to

connect
to the FIRST Internet site I access. After retrying the URL it all works -

and then it
consistently works from then on. This did not happen on 4.7

The 4.9-RC1 link posted here mentions a fix to some PPPOA isuue so Netgear
MUST know of some problems (perhaps related to what I have seen) with
4.8!!!!!

The issues related to the modem fixed in 4.9Rc1 are related to the line
sync, amongst others.

Someone has reported that his router now reconnects after the line drops
without a reboot.

Take a look at the DSL Hardware message board on ADSL Guide.

Cheers

Phil

Old July 17th 03, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mal Ice

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:10:35 +0100, Mal Ice wrotf:

Phil wrote in message

Im using 4.9 RC1 with no probs (IE6)

Where did you get this from?

Cheers,
Ian
--
Ian McMillan - HTML is for web pages, not e-mail or usenet!

It looks like some of Netgears guys post onto the ADSL guide boards.

Check out this link
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...umber=79263 0

Cheers.

I spoke with Netgear direct this morning. THe problem was found and remedied in
2 minutes!! It was Norton Internet Security!! I disabled it, cleared the
browser cache and offline content. No more errors! Whoa whoa!

Excellent fault diagnosis. Well done Netgear.

An update.....

All is NOT well after all!

I have lost VPN connectivity.

De-grading to 4.6 VPN is fine. Upgrade to 4.8 (same port forwarding) and
NOTHING connects to my work VPN server.

Netgear level 2 support are now on the case. I am waiting for their first call.

Mal