Kent(uk) broadband advice please.

Old July 16th 03, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BERT B

Default Kent(uk) broadband advice please.

From August 28th,broadband will be available on my local exchange,so anyone
living in the South-East of England who has any pro's or con's about which
ISP to use for broadband,your advice would be appreciated. I'm looking at
several options at present,BT,Glow Internet & Nildram being the most
likely,but am willing to hear of any other suggestions or experiences anyone
may have had,good & bad,with any of the aforementioned,or alternative ISP's.

Price will not be THE deciding factor for me,as quality of service,speed etc
is of more importance.

Thanks in advance.

Bert B.

---

Old July 17th 03, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:29:39 UTC, "BERT B"
wrote:

From August 28th,broadband will be available on my local exchange,so anyone
living in the South-East of England who has any pro's or con's about which
ISP to use for broadband,your advice would be appreciated.

Given that you can get broadband at all, and that cable etc. aren't
options, then choice of ISP is location-independent I would think.

I'm looking at
several options at present,BT,Glow Internet & Nildram being the most
likely,but am willing to hear of any other suggestions or experiences anyone
may have had,good & bad,with any of the aforementioned,or alternative ISP's.

Price will not be THE deciding factor for me,as quality of service,speed etc
is of more importance.

Depends what else you want too...static IPs? Being able to run your own
DNS and other servers? I use A&A and am VERY happy.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Old July 17th 03, 03:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Loose exchange got ADSL at beginning on 4th June. Plus Net running with no
interruption ever since.
They have choice of packages to suit your requirements at best prices.
And you can earn discounts for referrals (HINT..)
Regards,
Martin

Old July 17th 03, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

From August 28th,broadband will be available on my local exchange,so anyone
living in the South-East of England who has any pro's or con's about which
ISP to use for broadband,your advice would be appreciated.

Given that you can get broadband at all, and that cable etc. aren't
options, then choice of ISP is location-independent I would think.

I'm looking at
several options at present,BT,Glow Internet & Nildram being the most
likely,but am willing to hear of any other suggestions or experiences anyone
may have had,good & bad,with any of the aforementioned,or alternative ISP's.

Price will not be THE deciding factor for me,as quality of service,speed etc
is of more importance.

Depends what else you want too...static IPs? Being able to run your own
DNS and other servers?

You say broadband, I take it that you are specifically refering to ADSL.

Look at performance of the larger ISPs regularly reported by
www.adslguide.org.uk

Web space, number of pop3 mail accounts, dialup backup, News Server,
Length of Contract, equipment offers are other factors that you may wish to
consider.

BT offer two types of service BT Broadband and BT Openworld

Michael Chare

Old July 19th 03, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Smith

"Michael Chare" said:

[snip]

BT offer two types of service BT Broadband and BT Openworld

perhaps a stupid question

What's the difference between BT Broadband and BT Openworld ADSL services?

/perhaps a stupid question

Not that I'm planning on jumping ship of course! Happy where I am
ThankYouVeryMuch.

Stephen.

Old July 19th 03, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"Stephen Smith" wrote:

"Michael Chare" said:

[snip]

BT offer two types of service BT Broadband and BT Openworld

perhaps a stupid question

What's the difference between BT Broadband and BT Openworld ADSL services?

/perhaps a stupid question

Not that I'm planning on jumping ship of course! Happy where I am
ThankYouVeryMuch.

Stephen.

Hi,
the difference is that they are seperate companies (at least on paper),
and BT Broadband officially supply only the connection. So you get no
official access to a news server, no pop3 access to your mail and no SMTP
server for sending mail. That said, most people can currently access the
BTO SMTP server, and access the BTO news servers, but that could change at
any time.

--

Martin