Question about strange grey BT box...

Old July 16th 03, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Uncle Wobbly

Default Question about strange grey BT box...

simple... it's a "megastream" NTE

it's the business end of an old private wire.

"MichaelJP" wrote in message
. ..
We've just moved into new offices, and mounted on the wall in the cellar

is
a grey plastic box with a BT logo on it.

The cryptic letters SF/BH-YFQYJ 1 LDLS and NXMA 220960 are stickered on

the
front, and down the side are 5 LEDS marked 2MBits/X21, HDSL, TEST, POWER

and
ALARM.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Is it by any chance a 10Mbit fibre link that we could get reactivated on

the
cheap

TIA,
- Michael

Old July 18th 03, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Allaway

SMDS is far from dead! A great deal of our 'blue chip' customers use
this for disaster recovery solutions

NX denotes n times 64K where the customer chooses how many time slots
of 64K they choose to have.

BT labelling schemes seem to have blurred recently. 'MA' can now
deliver SMDS, Frame relay (formerly NXFS), cellstream (NX or MX CS).

The main point being you have a decent route into your local serving
exchange which, with persuasion, BT can allocate for your chosen
service (perhaps even NXIP or MXIP which is IP Clear or ADSL as we
know it, albeit at high speeds)

Rgds
Paul

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 09:57:38 +0100, "MichaelJP"
wrote:

"Uncle Wobbly" wrote in message
. ..
simple... it's a "megastream" NTE

it's the business end of an old private wire.

"MichaelJP" wrote in message
. ..

Thanks for the answers.

After speaking to BTnet billing, they seem to think it's an SMDS box. AFAIK
this is an obsolete system used before VPNs to connect various sites?

- Michael