Netgear

Old July 17th 03, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

Default Netgear

I am considering moving from ISDN to ADSL
I have looked at Netgear DG824M
Looking at the review on adslguide.org.uk it looks very good. However they
did point out a couple of issues with the router (see below)
Are these still problems?
If yes, does anyone know if there any plans to fix them?
If I bought a router and these were fixed later would the router be able to
be upgraded to take the fixes?
Any other recommendations to attain wirefree adsl ?

Ian

===
In actual use the DG824M seems to not have its UPnP support fully
operational. Running Windows (MSN) Messenger (v4.7) between a PC on a
wireless link behind the DG824M and another PC connected to the Internet via
a dialup, only permitted limited Windows Messenger functionality. Windows
Messenger worked fine when the call was placed from a PC on the internal
side of the DG824M and no problems were experienced with audio, video, file
sending/receiving and the whiteboard. However, we were not able to get
incoming call requests to work at all.
This is a bit of disappointment as other UPnP capable routers boast full
Messenger functionality, and the appearance of the UPnP gateway icons in XP
always seems to work.
===
One major bug still present in version 1.3 Release 03 is that if you copy
large amounts of files across the wireless network the router will crash,
and require a reboot to get going again. Generally it takes 200-300MB of
file transfers for it to happen but oddly enough, day to day intermittent
usage seems to be stable. Netgear are working on this bug, so hopefully a
later firmware upgrade will fix this. === One other aspect that would be
useful is support for protocols other than TCP and UDP, not many
applications use them, but support for ICMP would be helpful as the firewall
could then be configured to log ping requests, for example.
The UPnP performance is a disappointment and should be second on the "to be
fixed" list after wireless stability issues. If you do not use Windows
Messenger video conferencing then it's not a worry. For Messenger addicts it
would be wise to look elsewhere for your ADSL hardware.
In summary the Netgear DG824M is almost a perfect wireless ADSL router. Once
the firmware is fixed it should become a firm favourite with consumers. Alas
at present it has a few caveats that people need to consider.
===

Old July 17th 03, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

"Ian Nelson" wrote in message ...
I am considering moving from ISDN to ADSL
I have looked at Netgear DG824M
Looking at the review on adslguide.org.uk it looks very good. However they
did point out a couple of issues with the router (see below)

Any other recommendations to attain wirefree adsl ?

I haven't done much comparison shopping myself recently, but the
wireless version of the Vigor 2600 is only £20 more than the Netgear,
so may be worth looking at.

The important thing for me was that the Vigor handled my /29 subnet of
several globally addressable IPs, which it does flawlessly. It also
handles NAT simultaneously, and it outputs its logfiles to my Linux
box (they also supply a Windows syslogd). I have to say that within
only a few hours I've been VERY impressed with they Vigor, and it's
much better looking in r/l than it is in the photos I've seen.

Stroller.
Old July 18th 03, 01:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Jones

"Ian Nelson" wrote in message
[...]

yes Ian both these faults seem to be fixed with the later Firmware versions.
I'm using Version 1.3 Release 22

Old July 18th 03, 03:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

yes Ian both these faults seem to be fixed with the later Firmware
versions.
I'm using Version 1.3 Release 22

But reports suggest every new firmware update introduces new bugs...,
forget Netgear, get the Draytek Vigor 220We and save you self hours.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 25th 03, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

I can find the Draytek Vigor 2600We on adslguide.org.uk

What's the differences between this and the 220 you mention?

Ian

Old July 25th 03, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

Netgear DG824m = £139
Draytek Vigor 2600We = £202

So does anyone know why is the Vigor worth so much more?

Old July 25th 03, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Sorry, finger trouble it is indeed Draytek Vigor 2200We,
£175 from broadbandbuyer.co.uk - it has got more bells and whistles such as
VPN then the Netgear DG824M, but above all it works !
I got one bundled with Vigor PCMCIA card at £193, ask if it is still
available.
I note that there is now also a Vigor 2600We, quick check reveals it has an
improved firewall facility and X-box
compatibility for extra £7.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 25th 03, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh Watkins

"Ian Nelson" wrote in message ...
Netgear DG824m = £139
Draytek Vigor 2600We = £202

So does anyone know why is the Vigor worth so much more?

you could ask googel

answers below

Hugh W

BTW it does exist http://www.googel.nl/

************************************************** **********************************

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...=Google+Search

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache...=en&ie=UT F-8

Wireless Performance
The DG824M has a varied history with the early versions being very unstable, although later versions appear to be much better. One
[...]

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...ear-dg824m.asp

The wireless connection is active and insecure by default, so make sure you either turn it off or restrict its access as soon as you
install it. On the up-side, because the wireless support is modularly built into the router, it leaves the possibility that it could
be upgraded to work at the new higher speed of 22Mbps although no plans exist for offering this as an upgrade at the moment.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...igor2600we.asp

Verdict

The Vigor 2600we is an excellent router full of features and ideal for businesses running on-site mail servers, etc. who may require
access to their network from the outside as well as implementing a wireless network quickly in a small office. With the addition of
the ISDN feature in the 2600W model, users can dial in directly, or the ISDN channels can be used to provide a better service level
when the ADSL connection fails. The ISDN model is also useful for those living in an area not currently served by ADSL who can use
the ISDN facility in the meantime. Having used it for a few weeks, I have no doubt over its excellent reliability. It is also good
value for money. On top of all this, it even looks great.

Old July 26th 03, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Nelson

I have read that the 2200 series doesn't have a built in ADSL modem
whereas the 2600 does..

The Netgear has an inbuilt ADSL modem

Is this right?
What do you use for the ADSL bit?