ADSL Connections, PPPoE, VPNs

Old July 17th 03, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Lee

Default ADSL Connections, PPPoE, VPNs

I'm getting ADSL installed at an office in Jersey. This will be to run a
VPN over. The VPN device requires a public IP address on it's External/WAN
interface. This hasn't been a problem on other sites as Energis have given
us a routed solution with a range of public IPs to use. However Energis
don't operate in Jersey so we need to use Jersey Telecom, who don't provide
a routed service.

Anyway, the interface on the VPN device has the option for DHCP, Static or
PPPoE addressing. IIRC PPPoE is how ADSL works isn't it? Could I plug the
device straight into the wall socket, give it the name, password, domain and
have it log onto the ADSL connection itself??

P.S. It's a Watchguard Soho 6tc...

cheers!

dave

Old July 17th 03, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In an article dated Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:21:33 +0100,
David Lee made the earth move by saying......

I'm getting ADSL installed at an office in Jersey. This will be to run a
VPN over. The VPN device requires a public IP address on it's External/WAN
interface. This hasn't been a problem on other sites as Energis have given
us a routed solution with a range of public IPs to use. However Energis
don't operate in Jersey so we need to use Jersey Telecom, who don't provide
a routed service.

Anyway, the interface on the VPN device has the option for DHCP, Static or
PPPoE addressing. IIRC PPPoE is how ADSL works isn't it? Could I plug the
device straight into the wall socket, give it the name, password, domain and
have it log onto the ADSL connection itself??

P.S. It's a Watchguard Soho 6tc...

cheers!

dave

The Watchguard Soho 6tc is not an ADSL device, it's a firewall/VPN end-
point only for connecting to an ethernet WAN/LAN. You will still need an
ADSL modem/router between it and your telephone point.
ADSL, in the UK anyway not sure about Jersey, uses PPPoA as opposed to
PPPoE.
--
Mugwump

To reply, replace INVALID with pipex{dot}com
Old July 17th 03, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

[...]

P.S. The user guides are at
http://www.watchguard.com/help/documentation/soho6.asp

They may have example network set-ups that give you an idea of how to do
it.

Old July 17th 03, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

David Lee wrote:

I'm getting ADSL installed at an office in Jersey. This will be to run a
VPN over. The VPN device requires a public IP address on it's External/WAN
interface. This hasn't been a problem on other sites as Energis have given
us a routed solution with a range of public IPs to use. However Energis
don't operate in Jersey so we need to use Jersey Telecom, who don't provide
a routed service.

Anyway, the interface on the VPN device has the option for DHCP, Static or
PPPoE addressing. IIRC PPPoE is how ADSL works isn't it? Could I plug the
device straight into the wall socket, give it the name, password, domain and
have it log onto the ADSL connection itself??

You might find it simpler to go for an ADSL router with integrated VPN
support. The two obvious choices would be either the Draytec Vigor 2600
or the Solwise SAR 715PV. That way they take care of the ADSL connection
and the LAN routing, they can also cope with VPN with NAT (hence no need
for a range of public IPs), and provide the VPN endpoint.

--
Cheers,

John.