What do I need to go broadband/Wifi

Old July 17th 03, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Cartman

Default What do I need to go broadband/Wifi

Hi Gang

Will shortly be getting pipex broadband. And want to go wireless. What
Im looking for is a 'all in one box' solution i.e. I just plug the
phone connection into the box and I am ready to go. Assuming I need a
ADSL modem/router/wireless access point, is that all? Any
recommendations?

I'm a linux user which might complicate things although I understand I
can do wireless ethernet, if so is there an all-in-one available for
this?

Any linux bods out there wireless'd up? Im on Mandrake.

Cheers

EC
Old July 17th 03, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Eric Cartman wrote:

Hi Gang

Will shortly be getting pipex broadband. And want to go wireless. What
Im looking for is a 'all in one box' solution i.e. I just plug the
phone connection into the box and I am ready to go. Assuming I need a
ADSL modem/router/wireless access point, is that all? Any
recommendations?

I'm a linux user which might complicate things although I understand I
can do wireless ethernet, if so is there an all-in-one available for
this?

Any linux bods out there wireless'd up? Im on Mandrake.

Hi there,

Your problem would be getting the wireless card to work on your linux
machine, however if you can do this fine you should have no problems.

Two integrated Wifi/Router/ADSL Modems a

D-Link DSL-604
Netgear DG-824M

You may want to ask on somewhere like http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ as
there's likely to be someone in the same boat.

Regards,
Mike

Old July 17th 03, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On 17 Jul 2003, Eric Cartman wrote:

Will shortly be getting pipex broadband. And want to go wireless. What
Im looking for is a 'all in one box' solution i.e. I just plug the
phone connection into the box and I am ready to go. Assuming I need a
ADSL modem/router/wireless access point, is that all? Any
recommendations?

I'm a linux user which might complicate things although I understand I
can do wireless ethernet, if so is there an all-in-one available for
this?

Running Linux should not be a problem as most 802.11b cards are supported
under Linux.

If you have an integrated router/modem/wap all you should need to do is
install a WiFi card into your Linux PC and it should just work.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/ ADSL Broadband available now

Old July 18th 03, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Cartman

Jason Clifford wrote in message ...
On 17 Jul 2003, Eric Cartman wrote:
If you have an integrated router/modem/wap all you should need to do is
install a WiFi card into your Linux PC and it should just work.

Jason Clifford

Thats the problem, if you look at the mandrake news group for
instance, it is a horror bag getting a wifi card to work under Linux.
I really dont want to start recompiling kernels!

Thanks for the advice guys

EC