Zen or Netgear DG814 - One of them has to go.

Old July 17th 03, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Mugwump

Default Zen or Netgear DG814 - One of them has to go.

In an article dated Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:47:56 +0100,
made the earth move by saying......

I have Zen ADSL and a Netgear DG814 router.

The router has been connected via NAT for about two weeks but I
have to reboot the system about once every 24 hours. This is
because the connection begins to 'lock up' as though ports are
blocked. First it's email, then http, then usualy NNTP on port
119.

If I disable the LAN and use a dial-up all is well again. If I
reboot the computer, all is well again.

Yesterday, I set up the system through routed IP and all was well
for about 24 hours until it completely died earlier this evening.
The router still showed the 'connected' light, and my machine
showed a connection to the LAN, yet I could not access the
router's web interface.

Eventually, I reset the machine to obtain everything
automatically and then managed to connect to the router and reset
that to enable NAT.. Everything is now working again, but not for
long I imagine. One last point, I disabled DHCP for the routed IP
setup.

I have updated the router to the latest firmware (4.8) and that
automatically sets the "timeout" value to "0".

Any idea how I determine what the fault is please?

I don't think this is specific to either Zen or your Netgear. My opinion
is that it is something being done to ADSL circuits somewhere as I had
the same problem with Pipex and a Binatone router. It was especially
galling to have the router lock up. The Binatone hasn't got very good
logging, but I was hoping that I could get a clue from it.
The problems lasted about 3 weeks and then miraculously disappeared.

My initial thought when it was happening (and the timings initially bore
this out) was that my router was being affected by electrical storms,
not necessarily in my immediate area but also towards where the backhaul
from my exchange went. I am still inclined to think that it is part of
the problem.
--
Mugwump

To reply, replace INVALID with pipex{dot}com
Old July 17th 03, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Mark Gillespie

Mugwump enlightened the world by saying on 17/07/2003 20:08:
I had the same problem with Pipex and a Binatone router.

Is this Binatone, as in £3.99 ****ty Argos clock radios Binatone?

Old July 17th 03, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Phil

"Mugwump" wrote in message
[...]

Download 4.9 RC1 this fixes this problem.

You can get if from the forums at ADSL guide.

Cheers

Old July 18th 03, 02:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Martin²

I was lucky, 'my' Netgear modem / router didn't work art all,
even the software would not uninstall, wasted many hours.
Even 'Ahmed' on the 'help' line in India said I should return it.
Won't touch any Netgear stuff ever.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 19th 03, 03:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Tempus Fugit

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:30:54 +0100, Mark Gillespie
wrote:

Mugwump enlightened the world by saying on 17/07/2003 20:08:
I had the same problem with Pipex and a Binatone router.

Is this Binatone, as in £3.99 ****ty Argos clock radios Binatone?

I would suggest getting rid of the ZEN, and keeping the NETGEAR model
which is excellent and renown for reliability and ease of usage. It
does help if you have no conflicting products, and read the Manuals
etc...

Old July 19th 03, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Martin²

Tempus Fugit wrote:
I would suggest getting rid of the ZEN, and keeping the NETGEAR model
which is excellent and renown for reliability and ease of usage. It
does help if you have no conflicting products, and read the Manuals
etc...

I and many others would disagree about Netgear, mine was a dud. Never mind
the manuals, even call to the helpline ('Ahmed' in India reading the same
crap manual !) resulted in advice to return it.
But don't take my word it, read all the posts in the broadband and wireless
groups about endless problems & firmware updates to Netgarer stuff...
Regards,
Martin