Any Satellite Users here ?

Old July 17th 03, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Whitcombe

Default Any Satellite Users here ?

Sorry, i was on about the sat systems the rely on a landline uplink not 2
way.

"Steve" wrote in message
In article ,
(Richard Whitcombe) wrote:

I'm looking into sat broadband access for a colleague. Does anyone
have
any experience of the performance of the 2 way systems. I'm interested
in the latency as this will be used for VPN access. What is the
typical
ping time of somewhere like
www.yahoo.com ?
Thanks all
Simon

Im not a satellite user but the laws of physics alone prevent you
getting a
ping less than about 280msec theoretical minimum. The reality is
probably
far higher. It'll remain that way forever assuming einstein is correct

A two way system would be twice that surely, unless my maths has suffered
in this heat !

For each ping, data travels both ways then the return ACK travels both
ways. 4 x 22300 miles, I make that 89200, over half a second assuming
186000 miles per second in free space ?

Steve