Speech over the Internet

Old July 18th 03, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

Default Speech over the Internet

Some time back, in this newsgroup I think, I picked up a simple program
to allow speech over the Internet (I do not want to use Net-Meeting) but
seem to have lost.

Can anyone help?
--
Les Desser
Old July 18th 03, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Buzz on Lappy

] Wandered in and burbled at us:
Some time back, in this newsgroup I think, I picked up a simple program
to allow speech over the Internet (I do not want to use Net-Meeting) but
seem to have lost.

Can anyone help?

yahoo messenger works fine for me
--
For Fun, Friends, fishwives, Tarts and a couple of Revs
http://www.free-n-easy.org.uk

For those that use the PC as a lifeline and contact point
http://revdaveb.force9.co.uk/forums/index.php
Old July 18th 03, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

Depends on what you want to do; one to one or group talk ?

In respect of the latter, common software packages used by gamers (which you
can use for one to one if you like) include RogerWilco, Battlecom and
Teamspeak.

I've used all three to talk to my sister when she's lived overseas.

On 18/7/03 12:51 pm, in article
, "Buzz on Lappy"

Old July 18th 03, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Graham in Melton
writes
Depends on what you want to do; one to one or group talk ?

In respect of the latter, common software packages used by gamers (which you
can use for one to one if you like) include RogerWilco, Battlecom and
Teamspeak.

I've used all three to talk to my sister when she's lived overseas.

Thanks to you and Dave - I am after simple one to one, but will
investigate.
--
Les Desser
Old July 19th 03, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Squet34785

MSN messenger or, if you're paranoid and want encryption, PGPFone is very
good (www.pgpi.org). Also sorts out some firewall probs that I had with MSN.

Old July 20th 03, 01:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Squet34785
writes
"Les Desser" ] wrote in message
Some time back, in this newsgroup I think, I picked up a simple program
to allow speech over the Internet (I do not want to use Net-Meeting) but
seem to have lost.

Can anyone help?

MSN messenger or, if you're paranoid and want encryption, PGPFone is very
good (www.pgpi.org). Also sorts out some firewall probs that I had with MSN.

Looks interesting - though I do not think I am paranoid.

I have actually just found what I was looking for - PicoPhone. Its main
attraction the first time I saw it was it was tiny (about 50K), needs no
external dlls etc (in fact no installation at all) and seemed to work
well via a NAT router.

I will be trying it out in the next few days.

Anyone tried it over a NAT router?
--
Les Desser
Old July 20th 03, 02:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , David Burgess
writes

"Les Desser" ] wrote in message

Some time back, in this newsgroup I think, I picked up a simple program
to allow speech over the Internet (I do not want to use Net-Meeting) but
seem to have lost.

Can anyone help?

http://www.ventrilo.com

excellent server & client software

Sigh! I thought this was a simple question. Seems lots of good things
about.

Thanks - I have added it to my list to check.
--
Les Desser
Old July 20th 03, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Squet34785
writes

PGPFone is very good (www.pgpi.org). Also sorts out some firewall probs
that I had with MSN.

I have had a look, but cannot see any mention of ports - so how does it
work through a NAT router?
--
Les Desser