Broadband Installation - some basic questions...

Old July 18th 03, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Just A Bloke

Default Broadband Installation - some basic questions...

Hopefully someone can answer this for me:

1) I am looking to get Freeserve broadband and was hoping to plug it into an
extension socket - will this be ok or will it need to plug into the main
socket?

2) What is the process for installation - will the engineer need to come
into the house and fiddle and tweak things or is it simply a case of
pressing some buttons at the exchange?

Any info gratefully received...

Old July 18th 03, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

You can plug it into any BT line box, and extension lines I believe. For
more info look at
http://www.zensupport.co.uk/ADSL/def...Filter%20Setup

Old July 18th 03, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob Walker

"Just A Bloke" wrote in message
Hopefully someone can answer this for me:

1) I am looking to get Freeserve broadband and was hoping to plug it into

an
extension socket - will this be ok or will it need to plug into the main
socket?

2) What is the process for installation - will the engineer need to come
into the house and fiddle and tweak things or is it simply a case of
pressing some buttons at the exchange?

No engineer will need to visit. Basically ADSL is enabled on your line from
the exchange. Then, all you need to do is plug your modem/router in to
whichever phone socket is best for you. In EVERY phone socket you want to
have a phone, fax, sky digibox, or normal analogue modem in to you need to
fit a filter. This is a small device which will filter out the high
frequency ADSL signal from your phone line and allow you to continue making
phone calls at the same time as using the net.

Rob

Old July 19th 03, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
trappeduser

"Just A Bloke" wrote in message
Hopefully someone can answer this for me:

1) I am looking to get Freeserve broadband and was hoping to plug it into

an
extension socket - will this be ok or will it need to plug into the main
socket?

Yes you can but remember to put in the microfilers in first.

2) What is the process for installation - will the engineer need to come
into the house and fiddle and tweak things or is it simply a case of
pressing some buttons at the exchange?

The engineer will do his bit at the exchange, after freeserve have confirmed
the line is working okay they will send your BB kit. Everything is external,
no engineers will need to visit your home.