Microfilters not working

Old July 18th 03, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DJ

Default Microfilters not working

I recently got broadband and have been having problems. I've tried two
different makes of microfilters and both don't work You can hear the high
frequencies and the connection is lost when you use the phone. I don't think
it is the telephone as my laptop modem is affected too.

The house has only one master socket downstairs which I assume I can use for
both ADSL and telephone calls at the same time?

What else can I try?

Thanks

Old July 18th 03, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Pilbeam

"DJ" wrote in message
news
I recently got broadband and have been having problems. I've tried two
different makes of microfilters and both don't work You can hear the high
frequencies and the connection is lost when you use the phone. I don't think
it is the telephone as my laptop modem is affected too.

The house has only one master socket downstairs which I assume I can use for
both ADSL and telephone calls at the same time?

What else can I try?

Thanks

What type/make of microfilter?
What type/make of phone ?

Old July 18th 03, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

"DJ" wrote in message
news
I recently got broadband and have been having problems. I've tried

two
different makes of microfilters and both don't work You can hear the

high
frequencies and the connection is lost when you use the phone. I

don't think
it is the telephone as my laptop modem is affected too.

The house has only one master socket downstairs which I assume I can

use for
both ADSL and telephone calls at the same time?

What else can I try?

Thanks

What type of phones????

You could always try double filtering the phone side of things to see
if that makes any improvement....

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old July 18th 03, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DJ

"Kraftee" wrote in message

"DJ" wrote in message
news
[...]

Microfilters are Excelsus Z-blocker Z-420UK and a one bought from maplins
for £7 made by phonapart.

I've tried using both together and it made no difference even tried putting
the Excelsus just before the modem but got no signal. The telephone is a
standard analogue phone made by Geemarc.

It's a USB adsl modem made by D-link connected to the microfilter ADSL side
with a RJ11-RJ11 cable, middle 2 pins wired with red/green wiring that seems
to cross over. The cable didn't come with the modem but was an old cable
from the dreamcast modem which was ideal for it's length as I needed an
extension. The PC and Telephone will work fine independantly, however they
won't work properly at the same time.

The Excelsus micro filter worked at my old address, although I had a
separate extension there for the computer.

Old July 19th 03, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , DJ
writes
Microfilters are Excelsus Z-blocker Z-420UK and a one bought from maplins
for £7 made by phonapart.

I've tried using both together and it made no difference even tried putting
the Excelsus just before the modem but got no signal. The telephone is a
standard analogue phone made by Geemarc.

It's a USB adsl modem made by D-link connected to the microfilter ADSL side
with a RJ11-RJ11 cable, middle 2 pins wired with red/green wiring that seems
to cross over. The cable didn't come with the modem but was an old cable
from the dreamcast modem which was ideal for it's length as I needed an
extension. The PC and Telephone will work fine independantly, however they
won't work properly at the same time.

The Excelsus micro filter worked at my old address, although I had a
separate extension there for the computer.

Do you have an extension for the phone or is it plugged into the filter
on the master socket?
--
Clint
Old July 19th 03, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DJ

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , DJ
writes
[...]

It's plugged into the filter into the master socket. There only is one
socket in the whole house which I assume is the master socket because it has
all the capacitors or whatever inside.

Should I be able to use the phone and adsl at the same time using a filter
in the main socket?

cheers

Old July 19th 03, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clint Sharp

In message , DJ
writes
Do you have an extension for the phone or is it plugged into the filter
on the master socket?
--
Clint

It's plugged into the filter into the master socket. There only is one
socket in the whole house which I assume is the master socket because it has
all the capacitors or whatever inside.

Should I be able to use the phone and adsl at the same time using a filter
in the main socket?

Yes, you should have no problems using ADSL and 'phone together
providing the microfilter is installed correctly and working. You plug
in the microfilter to the master socket, the 'phone into the filter and
the ADSL into the other side of the microfilter or an extension
hardwired to the master socket.

cheers

--
Clint
Old July 20th 03, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DJ

[...]

That's what I've done and it still doesn't work. Even the microfilter from
maplins has stopped working completely so I've only got one to use at the
moment.

Can anybody confirm the correct cables I should be using, i.e. RJ11- RJ11
pins 2 and 3 connected etc as i think this must be the problem. Is it
possible that the cables allow the Phone and ADSL to work independantly but
cause a conflict together?

Thanks

Old July 20th 03, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DJ

snip
[...]

This makes no sense now, My modem hasn't synced for about 20hours now to
much frustration using the filter from maplins. So I changed the microfilter
and it worked straight away. Great so I tried the maplins filter again and
now it works.

I don't believe I had an external problem at say BT's end that happened to
get fixed at the exact same time as swapping the filters so I wonder if it
is a cable problem?

Not sure if this makes any difference but my master socket is not a NTE5
type but the ordinary type, however it does have capacitors and what not
inside. Would this make a difference?