NTL Broadband and POTS Modem?

Old July 18th 03, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barry Higginbottom

Default NTL Broadband and POTS Modem?

Hi

A friend of mine has just had NTL Broadband (150k?) installed. He is not at
all computer savvy but I have been able to glean that he has a new modem
connected to one of his USB ports. Even though he has NTL cable TV they have
installed a new line for him seperate to his cable TV and cable phone
connection. He lives in the Bicester area.

The broadband connection is working great and I have talked him through
setting up his other email accounts to connect via broadband. (NTL support
told him it couldn't be done, sigh)

He has, until now, used a built in modem on his HP computer for
sending/receiving faxes and sending SMS messages.

Since broadband was installed the other day he can't access his modem. He
can't exactly remember the error message but its along the lines of a 'TAPI
error, device in use'

Can broadband and an ordinary modem co-exist?

If so, what's the secret?

TIA

Barry
Old July 19th 03, 01:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dA mAn

150k really isn't broadband

"HRH The Lord Buckley" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:27:39 GMT and in article [email protected]
158254.news.uni-berlin.de, Barry Higginbottom said...
Can broadband and an ordinary modem co-exist?

Yes.

There is no secret. I don't know why your friend is experiencing
problems. Perhaps he might have to disconnect his broadband first
before using the modem?

--
CB

Old July 19th 03, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barry Higginbottom

On 19-Jul-2003, [email protected] writeme.com wrote:

The original post is "_completely_ irrelevant" to this newsgroup.

Why?

It's about NTL broadband and I live in the UK. We're not all blessed with in
depth knowledge and sometimes have to ask 'dumb' questions.

CB, following your first post (thanks) how does one temporarily 'disconnect'
the service?

TIA

Barry
Old July 19th 03, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dialakey

"Barry Higginbottom" wrote in message
[...]

Broadband and normal modems can co-exist.

Assuming he has some flavour of Windoze, a search of the MS Knowledge base
should reveal causes of this behavior

Old July 19th 03, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasper

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:35:05 +0100, HRH The Lord Buckley
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:17:12 +0100 and in article 3f188e2d$0$11377
, dA mAn said...
150k really isn't broadband

Quiet you. Your comment is _completely_ irrelevant to the discussion.

I'd say his comment was highly relevant as this is supposed to be
*broadband* discussion group and 150k is clearly *not* broadband !!

Jasper

Old July 20th 03, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jasper

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:26:31 +0100, CB wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 14:41:21 +0000 (UTC) and in article
, Jasper said...
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:17:12 +0100 and in article 3f188e2d$0$11377
, dA mAn said...
150k really isn't broadband

Quiet you. Your comment is _completely_ irrelevant to the discussion.

I'd say his comment was highly relevant as this is supposed to be
*broadband* discussion group and 150k is clearly *not* broadband !!

You are a ****wit. The original poster said an NTL cable modem had been
installed, this is broadband technology, even if 150k is not defined as
broadband. It wouldn't make an iota of difference what speed he was
being capped at, the modem NTL supplied would still be the same.

Hence, you're an unblitering ****wit who really should learn to shut the
**** up.

HT

Nice to see some tolerant people around here with a sense of humour.
You are so obviously in the wrong you have to reply with meaningless
obscenitites to cover up for your gross stupidity and brainlessness.
!!!!!!!!!