PC Duo control and AOL BB settings query

Old July 18th 03, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tstungo

Default PC Duo control and AOL BB settings query

Hi,

I'm not an expert at all this, but I've left my PC on at work and installed PC
Duo Control at home to access it.

I have a .ins program to run which I think will enable our server at work to
dial me back.

Question is, will this change all my AOL broadband connection settings?

With thanks,

Tom, High Wycombe, UK.
Old July 18th 03, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
eusty

No but you will have to use dial-up to connect to it as basically you will
be using a peer-to-peer connection over the phone line.

--

(`._. All Outgoing Mail Scanned With Norton Anti-Virus 2003 ._.)

Old July 18th 03, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I'm not an expert at all this, but I've left my PC on at work and installed PC
Duo Control at home to access it.
I have a .ins program to run which I think will enable our server at work to
dial me back.
Question is, will this change all my AOL broadband connection settings?

I assume you are not the admin - if you are, what the hell are you doing
with AOheLl ?

If you are not the admin, have a word with them - they might be able to
sort something out for you that isn`t likely to leave the company network
and data open to hackers and script kiddies.

If you are doing this without the OK from admin / management, I would
suggest you are risking instant dismissal !
Old July 19th 03, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tstungo

If you are doing this without the OK from admin / management, I would
suggest you are risking instant dismissal !

Thanks for the replies. I'm not clear about all this. AOL's just my home ISP
for personal use. Our I.T. dept. are OK with me accessing my PC with Duo. They
told me to run the .ins, which I did, but as soon as I saw a warning box saying
"this will change your internet settings - do you want to continue?" - I
thought, hang on?

So I'm still not 100% sure. Can I save my current settings and re-instate them
later - is that what a .ins can be used for?

Thanks again,

Tom
Old July 19th 03, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Thanks for the replies. I'm not clear about all this. AOL's just my home ISP
for personal use. Our I.T. dept. are OK with me accessing my PC with Duo. They
told me to run the .ins, which I did, but as soon as I saw a warning box saying
"this will change your internet settings - do you want to continue?" - I
thought, hang on?

So they provided the .ins file - I think you can normally open them with
a text editor to see what they contain, but the odds are it might just
add a seperate dialup... Not sure to be honest.

So I'm still not 100% sure. Can I save my current settings and re-instate them
later - is that what a .ins can be used for?

I`ve never used AOL, but I know they use their own non-standard protocol
for internet access. Not sure how you`d get on - perhaps if you ask the
IT mob for more info next week ?
Old July 19th 03, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark&Lisa

Tstungo wrote:
If you are doing this without the OK from admin / management, I would
suggest you are risking instant dismissal !

Thanks for the replies. I'm not clear about all this. AOL's just my home ISP
for personal use. Our I.T. dept. are OK with me accessing my PC with Duo. They
told me to run the .ins, which I did, but as soon as I saw a warning box saying
"this will change your internet settings - do you want to continue?" - I
thought, hang on?

So I'm still not 100% sure. Can I save my current settings and re-instate them
later - is that what a .ins can be used for?

Thanks again,

Tom

presumably you will be using a 56k modem so you will set up a different
dun icon