Only 88% Max

Old July 19th 03, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee Horan

Default Only 88% Max

"Edward Holt" wrote in message
Why does my network utilisation in XP's task manager never get higher than
88% - protocol overhead?

I've got an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem and a 512K line.

got QoS enabled ?

AFAIK this uses/saves 20% of bandwidth

Hope this helps

Lee

Old July 19th 03, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward Holt

I've seen references to QOS before.

I've followed the procedures on the Zen site to disable QOS but I'm still
missing that extra 12%.
According to my network settings, I have a tick in the checkbox for Internet
Protocol/(TCP/IP), no tick in the checkbopx for File and Prrinter Sharing or
Client for Microsoft Network.
QOS isn't listed.

Old July 20th 03, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Noga

"Edward Holt" wrote in message
| My Redhat download crashed so, after running XP AntiSpy I rebooted - still
| getting about 88% max.
| The value I chose to change was Disable Limiting Of Bandwidth.
|
| "Edward Holt" wrote in message
| Thanks, got XPantispy and disabled the QOS function.
| I'm in the middle of downloading Redhat and I guess that a reboot is
| required - will try it later.
|
| "RichardH" wrote in message
| get XPantispy and run it.... you can remove it with it..
|

| "Edward Holt" wrote in message
| I've seen references to QOS before.
|
| I've followed the procedures on the Zen site to disable QOS but I'm
| still
| missing that extra 12%.
| According to my network settings, I have a tick in the checkbox for
| Internet
| Protocol/(TCP/IP), no tick in the checkbopx for File and Prrinter
| Sharing
| or
| Client for Microsoft Network.
| QOS isn't listed.
|

| "Lee Horan" wrote in message
|
| "Edward Holt" wrote in message
| Why does my network utilisation in XP's task manager never get
| higher
| than
| 88% - protocol overhead?
|
| I've got an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem and a 512K line.
|
| got QoS enabled ?
|
| AFAIK this uses/saves 20% of bandwidth
|
| Hope this helps
|
| Lee

When you connect it probably says it's connected at 800kbps (for some
reason). About 80% of this would be 512kbps which is what you should expect
from your 512kbps line. At least that's the case for my system. Aint got a
clue why winXP reports the connection as 800kbps though...

Paul

Old July 20th 03, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin Guest

"Paul Noga" wrote in message

"Edward Holt" wrote in message
| My Redhat download crashed so, after running XP AntiSpy I rebooted -

still
| getting about 88% max.
| The value I chose to change was Disable Limiting Of Bandwidth.
|
| "Edward Holt" wrote in message
| Thanks, got XPantispy and disabled the QOS function.
| I'm in the middle of downloading Redhat and I guess that a reboot is
| required - will try it later.
|
| "RichardH" wrote in message
| get XPantispy and run it.... you can remove it with it..
|

| "Edward Holt" wrote in message
| I've seen references to QOS before.
|
| I've followed the procedures on the Zen site to disable QOS but

I'm
| still
| missing that extra 12%.
| According to my network settings, I have a tick in the checkbox

for
| Internet
| Protocol/(TCP/IP), no tick in the checkbopx for File and

Prrinter
| Sharing
| or
| Client for Microsoft Network.
| QOS isn't listed.
|

| "Lee Horan" wrote in message
|
| "Edward Holt" wrote in message
| Why does my network utilisation in XP's task manager never

get
| higher
| than
| 88% - protocol overhead?
|
| I've got an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem and a 512K line.
|
| got QoS enabled ?
|
| AFAIK this uses/saves 20% of bandwidth
|
| Hope this helps
|
| Lee

When you connect it probably says it's connected at 800kbps (for some
reason). About 80% of this would be 512kbps which is what you should

expect
from your 512kbps line. At least that's the case for my system. Aint got

clue why winXP reports the connection as 800kbps though...

Paul

Good point - when I connect it's reported as 576k and 512k is about 88.9%

of
that speed.

Makes sense, my router also reports an unvarying link speed of 2272/288,
which is a similar % of 2048/256. It did this before I even got my PPP logon
working, so my xp pc couldn't have been sending QoS packets by then.

Old July 20th 03, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Noga

"Edward Holt" wrote in message

| "Paul Noga" wrote in message
|
| "Edward Holt" wrote in message
| | My Redhat download crashed so, after running XP AntiSpy I rebooted -
| still
| | getting about 88% max.
| | The value I chose to change was Disable Limiting Of Bandwidth.
| |
| | "Edward Holt" wrote in message
| | Thanks, got XPantispy and disabled the QOS function.
| | I'm in the middle of downloading Redhat and I guess that a reboot is
| | required - will try it later.
| |
| | "RichardH" wrote in message
| | get XPantispy and run it.... you can remove it with it..
| |
| |
| |
| | "Edward Holt" wrote in message
| | I've seen references to QOS before.
| |
| | I've followed the procedures on the Zen site to disable QOS but
| I'm
| | still
| | missing that extra 12%.
| | According to my network settings, I have a tick in the checkbox
| for
| | Internet
| | Protocol/(TCP/IP), no tick in the checkbopx for File and
Prrinter
| | Sharing
| | or
| | Client for Microsoft Network.
| | QOS isn't listed.
| |
| |
| | "Lee Horan" wrote in message
| |
| | "Edward Holt" wrote in message
| | Why does my network utilisation in XP's task manager never
get
| | higher
| | than
| | 88% - protocol overhead?
| |
| | I've got an Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem and a 512K line.
| |
| | got QoS enabled ?
| |
| | AFAIK this uses/saves 20% of bandwidth
| |
| | Hope this helps
| |
| | Lee
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

| When you connect it probably says it's connected at 800kbps (for some
| reason). About 80% of this would be 512kbps which is what you should
| expect
| from your 512kbps line. At least that's the case for my system. Aint got
| clue why winXP reports the connection as 800kbps though...
|
| Paul
|

| Good point - when I connect it's reported as 576k and 512k is about 88.9%
of
| that speed.

Wasn't on the ball at 2am last night! That figure above should have read 65%
of 800kbps, which would put it on par with the 512kpbs speed. But basically
that's what it is and your connection's running at full speed.

Paul

Old July 20th 03, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin Guest

"Rev Adrian Kennard" wrote in message
Robin Guest wrote:
Makes sense, my router also reports an unvarying link speed of 2272/288,
which is a similar % of 2048/256. It did this before I even got my PPP

logon
working, so my xp pc couldn't have been sending QoS packets by then.

That is the ADSL rate, and ATM cells have an overhead, as well as PPP,
hence they quote 2M, 1M, 500K rates for your actual IP traffic, not
2272, etc.

--
_ Rev. Adrian Kennard, Andrews & Arnold Ltd / AAISP
(_) _| _ . _ _ ADSL, fixed IP, monthly contract http://adsl.ms/

ok