NTL 150K at 250K

Old July 20th 03, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Flame

Default NTL 150K at 250K

I am getting 250K download and 110K upload with my 150K NTL broadband.

Is this normal?

Can I also presume than their 600K should give around 1MB and their 1MB
should give about 1.5MB?

thanks

John

Old July 20th 03, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin Guest

"John Flame" wrote in message
I am getting 250K download and 110K upload with my 150K NTL broadband.

Is this normal?

Can I also presume than their 600K should give around 1MB and their 1MB
should give about 1.5MB?

thanks

John

I doubt it. I always got 600 when I used to have 600 from ntl.

Maybe it's an individual program lying to you. Try running several different
speed tests while nothing else is using the connection, for a clearer
pictu

http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_I...ndwidth_Tests/
http://www.speedguide.net/links.php?category=60

Old July 20th 03, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin Guest

"Robin Guest" wrote in message

"John Flame" wrote in message
I am getting 250K download and 110K upload with my 150K NTL broadband.

Is this normal?

Can I also presume than their 600K should give around 1MB and their 1MB
should give about 1.5MB?

thanks

John

I doubt it. I always got 600 when I used to have 600 from ntl.

Maybe it's an individual program lying to you. Try running several

different
speed tests while nothing else is using the connection, for a clearer
pictu

http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_I...ndwidth_Tests/
http://www.speedguide.net/links.php?category=60

Of course I meant several tests consecutively (to get an average), not at
the same time

Another possibility is that they haven't given you the service you
ordered/are paying for.

Old July 20th 03, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Flame

"John Flame" wrote in message
[...]

I have tried several test and have reconfirmed with NTL that I am getting
theit 150K service.

Old July 20th 03, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter G Sheppard

I am getting 250K download and 110K upload with my 150K NTL broadband.

Is this normal?

Can I also presume than their 600K should give around 1MB and their 1MB
should give about 1.5MB?

Possibly. IIRC, some exCWC areas have 256kbps download. You can confirm
this (if on cable modem) by using DocsDiag. Someone will post the link
(I've forgotten it). Otherwise if on set-top-box, try the menu system,
it'll probably tell you..... somewhere.

Old July 20th 03, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barry Higginbottom

Default Problem with Cable Modem was NTL 150K at 250K

Hi Peter

A friend of mine has just had NTL150 installed and since then he cannot
access his analogue internal modem which is connected to COM3

The programs that require the modem report that a non-TAPI application is
using the line. This is his BT line that is connected to the modem _not_ the
NTL connection.

Can you offer any guidance to this problem. NTL are no help at all despite
the fact that this problem only surfaced when the NTL supplied cable modem
(USB?) was installed by them.

The 150 connection works very well for him though.

Unfortunately he lives 200 miles away so I can't 'pop' round to have a look
and he has very little technical knowledge (read none!)

Thanks

Barry.
Old July 20th 03, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Unfortunately he lives 200 miles away so I can't 'pop' round to have a look
and he has very little technical knowledge (read none!)

Look for VNC - you can see how his system is set up from your own
machine.
Old July 20th 03, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barry Higginbottom

On 20-Jul-2003, Colin Wilson wrote:

Look for VNC - you can see how his system is set up from your own
machine.

Hi Colin

VNC????

I must explain that I don't have the benefit of Broadband and we have no
chance of getting it in any form (other than satellite) in the forseeable
future. So you'll have to explain a little more fully, if you don't mind.

Thanks

Barry
Old July 20th 03, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"Barry Higginbottom" wrote:

On 20-Jul-2003, Colin Wilson wrote:

Look for VNC - you can see how his system is set up from your own
machine.

Hi Colin

VNC????

I must explain that I don't have the benefit of Broadband and we have no
chance of getting it in any form (other than satellite) in the forseeable
future. So you'll have to explain a little more fully, if you don't mind.

Thanks

Barry

Hi,
VNC is a piece of software that allows you to get acces to a remote PC
over the internet. Basically, you get a window showing the remote desktop,
and have full control via the mouse and keyboard. However, VNC is extremely
slow on a 64K ISDN link, so is probably of little use over a modem
connection. Take a look at tightvnc instead (http://www.tightvnc.com/)
which has much better compression. It will still be slow over a modem, but
will be significantly faster than the standard VNC software.

--

Martin
Old July 20th 03, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin Guest

"Peter G Sheppard" wrote in message
I am getting 250K download and 110K upload with my 150K NTL broadband.

Is this normal?

Can I also presume than their 600K should give around 1MB and their 1MB
should give about 1.5MB?

Possibly. IIRC, some exCWC areas have 256kbps download. You can confirm
this (if on cable modem) by using DocsDiag. Someone will post the link
(I've forgotten it). Otherwise if on set-top-box, try the menu system,
it'll probably tell you..... somewhere.

Yes, but that wouldn't mean Peter's getting 256k down from a 150k service,
it would mean he's getting a different but better service than he is being
billed for. Which if true is obviously great while it lasts ...but his
presumption doesn't necessarily hold for the higher rates.