SNR & Attenuation...

Old July 20th 03, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

Default SNR & Attenuation...

"Ed Essery" wrote:

I apoligise if this is an FAQ - I did try searching for an answer but
without success.

I am a new ADSL/Broadband user. I am on Demon at 500K using a Draytek

Vigor
2600 router. The router is reporting an SNR Margin (Signal to Noise) of
30.0 and Loop Attenuation of 42.5. My question is whether this is good

bad
or indifferent? What are the figures for an excellent circuit and for a
marginal circuit.

My ADSL Statistics are showing approximately a small number of uncorrected
blocks - approximately 0.002% - should I be concerned about these.

Thanks,

Ed

Hi,
to give you a comparison, my margin is 19 downstream and 30 upstream.
My attenuation is 56 downstream and 31 upstream. I also get a small number
of errors, and have never had a problem with the connection (other than when
a major failure occurs within the BT network). A few errors is quite normal,
and nothing to worry about.

--

Martin
Old July 20th 03, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Olechnowicz

"Martin Cooper" wrote in message
. ..
"Ed Essery" wrote:

[...]

Draytek Vigor 2600 on a Plusnet 512/50:1

SNR 38db
Loop Attn 21db

I consider this to be an excellent quality connection and I still get a few
uncorrected blocks occasionally.. As the previous poster has said, nothing
to worry about.

John

---

Old July 21st 03, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Olechnowicz

"Stuart" wrote in message

"John Olechnowicz" wrote in message

SNR 38db
Loop Attn 21db

I consider this to be an excellent quality connection and I still get a

few
uncorrected blocks occasionally.. As the previous poster has said,

nothing
to worry about.

SNR 18.5
Att 18/19

Come to Sunny Sydenham - SNR capital of the South East?

Hey Stuart..

Am I confused then??

I thought that the higher the SNR the better and the lower the Loop Att the
better..

Do I need councelling or what?

John

---

Old July 21st 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

John Olechnowicz wrote:

Hey Stuart..

Am I confused then??

I thought that the higher the SNR the better and the lower the Loop Att the
better..

Do I need councelling or what?

No you are right - the higher the SNR the better, and the lower the
attenuation the better.

I am getting SNR of 40, attenuation of 32. This is on PlusNet 512K 50:1
with a Solwise SAR715PV.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 21st 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Olechnowicz

"John Rumm" wrote in message
John Olechnowicz wrote:

Hey Stuart..

Am I confused then??

I thought that the higher the SNR the better and the lower the Loop Att

the
better..

Do I need councelling or what?

No you are right - the higher the SNR the better, and the lower the
attenuation the better.

I am getting SNR of 40, attenuation of 32. This is on PlusNet 512K 50:1
with a Solwise SAR715PV.

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks matey!!

Thought I'd lost the plot for a sec :-)

John

---

Old July 21st 03, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , John Olechnowicz
writes

"Stuart" wrote in message

"John Olechnowicz" wrote in message

SNR 38db
Loop Attn 21db

I consider this to be an excellent quality connection and I still get a

few
uncorrected blocks occasionally.. As the previous poster has said,

nothing
to worry about.

SNR 18.5
Att 18/19

Come to Sunny Sydenham - SNR capital of the South East?

Hey Stuart..

Am I confused then??

I thought that the higher the SNR the better and the lower the Loop Att the
better..

Do I need councelling or what?

Your comms theory's fine but spelling lessons may be required.
Here in N.Hants it's a lovely "SNR Margin: 45.0 dB, Loop attn.: 15.5 dB"
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Old July 21st 03, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Olechnowicz

Do I need councelling or what?

Your comms theory's fine but spelling lessons may be required.
Here in N.Hants it's a lovely "SNR Margin: 45.0 dB, Loop attn.: 15.5 dB"
--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Well, excuse me!!!

I'll be watching for any typo's that you make and will ensure they are
pointed out to you appropriately!

---