Binary Newsgroups

Old July 20th 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phaedrus

Default Binary Newsgroups

BT and Demon support binary newsgroups, are there any other ADSL ISP's that
do?

TIA

Joe

Old July 20th 03, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TEQ

"Phaedrus" wrote in message
BT and Demon support binary newsgroups, are there any other ADSL ISP's

that
do?

TIA

Joe

BT?... Support binary newsgroups?...
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahah
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahah
That's the best laugh I've had in ages. Thanks!

Old July 21st 03, 01:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
not.sure

"Phaedrus" wrote in message
BT and Demon support binary newsgroups, are there any other ADSL ISP's

that
do?

PlusNet do, but their completion is abysmal (less than 50%).

They have been promising for ages that they are going to improve their
binary news service, and have supposedly purchased the extra hardware to
enable them to do this.

However, there seems to be an endless wait for this to happen.

Old July 21st 03, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Phaedrus" wrote in message
BT and Demon support binary newsgroups, are there any other ADSL ISP's

that
do?

TIA

Joe

Eclipse also do, but last time I looked at things like Old Time Radio many
posts were missing parts.
I think if you want good binary news you will need to pay. What do you use
at present

Old July 21st 03, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Kirkland

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:14:25 +0100, "Phaedrus"
wrote:

BT and Demon support binary newsgroups, are there any other ADSL ISP's that
do?

TIA

Joe

You have one route: Pay for it.

Given current (full feed) unsenet traffic levels, and the fact that
basically all UK ISP's offer usenet as an "unsupported service",
that's the only option.

If you want it, pay for it.

--
John Kirkland
Old July 21st 03, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Zen Internet support them (www.zenbroadband.com)

Old July 21st 03, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Asylum

"Phaedrus" wrote in message
BT and Demon support binary newsgroups, are there any other ADSL ISP's

that
do?

TIA

Joe

Freeserve Broadband offer 613 Binary groups, unlimited Bandwidth transfer,
for 27.99 per month, showing only 198 seconds downtime this month, and 24/7
helpline, not the cheapest around, but reliable. No complaints from me in 14
monthes.
Andy.

Old July 21st 03, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 01:23:42 +0100, "not.sure"
wrote:

PlusNet do, but their completion is abysmal (less than 50%).

They have been promising for ages that they are going to improve their
binary news service, and have supposedly purchased the extra hardware to
enable them to do this.

However, there seems to be an endless wait for this to happen.

Hi There,

There is currently a thread on our discussion forum at ADSLGuide
regarding this subject. The last post I made explained why the delay
had occurred - Here's a snippet:

As it stands, we are now completing the migration of primary equipment
from our old premises, which will act as a disaster recovery centre in
the future, to our new building. We intend to finish this before
embarking on further network upgrades.

This work will be completed within the next few weeks, at which point
we will be in a position where we can start pushing ahead with a
number of planned upgrades without fear that network changes will
leave our platform unstable, as may have happened had we not completed
things in the order we have.

I fully appreciate that this is something we said we would have
delivered by now and haven't yet done so. It is as frustrating for us
to have the equipment here and ready to go, however the needs of the
customer base as a whole have to take priority - The last thing any of
us want is any downtime...

I hope to get a definitive timescale from the Network team for the
Usenet upgrades tomorrow and will make sure customers are updated via
the normal routes.

Regards,

Ian
--
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -------
Old July 22nd 03, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Johnny Too Bad

Can second that about FS new coverage. Includes binaries. Good completion. 3
day retention. Can only speak for warez groups though.

If you want better in terms of number of groups covered try Claranet. I
think theirs is the best news service in that respect from any ISP giving an
all-inclusive service. I speak from experience of many. I ended up back with
FS the last 18 months because they have the best all round news service and
general reliability, speed etc. My experience with Claranet was some 2 yrs
ago. I only left them because they were too slow to come up with a good
unmetered deal. The news service was excellent.

As other have said, the alternative is to go with a cheaper service and pay
for a news service seperately. But beware the cheapos - you get nothing for
free and in the end I'd pay the extra fiver per month for reliability (as I
do).

Decisions ... decisions ... :-