A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Community needs satellite service with more than one base station



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 21st 03, 10:48 AM posted to alt.satellite.internet,uk.telecom.broadband
John Owens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Community needs satellite service with more than one base station

Hi
We are a village in the UK with lots of hills and valleys and no land-line
broadband.

www.rural-WEB.org

We have a project which includes :

the provision of a satellite internet feed to a mobile unit for outreach
services.

the provision of satellite internet feed to 1, 2 or 3 fixed points within
the village which will then be shared wirelessly in clusters of households.


We are now looking for suppliers. Ideally we (rural-web) want to buy a pool
of bandwidth which is shared among the base stations. In particular the
mobile base station may only be used 50 or 60 times a year so we don't want
to have to pay for 'always on ' capacity for it and it alone, that will
rarely be used.


Ideas and pointers gratefully received.
Thank you


--
John Owens

Tel 44 1509 890302
Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk


  #2  
Old July 21st 03, 12:08 PM posted to alt.satellite.internet,uk.telecom.broadband
John Owens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Community needs satellite service with more than one base station

"John Owens" wrote in message
...
We have a project which includes :

the provision of a satellite internet feed to a mobile unit for outreach
services.

the provision of satellite internet feed to 1, 2 or 3 fixed points

within
the village which will then be shared wirelessly in clusters of

households.


We are now looking for suppliers. Ideally we (rural-web) want to buy a

pool
of bandwidth which is shared among the base stations. In particular the
mobile base station may only be used 50 or 60 times a year so we don't

want
to have to pay for 'always on ' capacity for it and it alone, that will
rarely be used.



P.s. We are talking to some people and have seen the long lists of
potential satellite operators. My posting was not meant to seem like the
height of laziness - mainly a reflection of the fact that we need something
a little bit different and not every company has the mental flexibility to
cope !

--
John Owens


Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk



  #3  
Old July 22nd 03, 09:13 AM posted to alt.satellite.internet,uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,000
Default Community needs satellite service with more than one base station

John Owens wrote:

Hi
We are a village in the UK with lots of hills and valleys and no land-line
broadband.

www.rural-WEB.org

We have a project which includes :

the provision of a satellite internet feed to a mobile unit for outreach
services.

the provision of satellite internet feed to 1, 2 or 3 fixed points within
the village which will then be shared wirelessly in clusters of households.


We are now looking for suppliers. Ideally we (rural-web) want to buy a pool
of bandwidth which is shared among the base stations. In particular the
mobile base station may only be used 50 or 60 times a year so we don't want
to have to pay for 'always on ' capacity for it and it alone, that will
rarely be used.




I think if its a group project yopu would be beter served by sharing a
2Mbps service via WiFi technology.

Contact these guys www.ukbroadband.net if this may be of interest as a
solution.


Ideas and pointers gratefully received.
Thank you


--
John Owens

Tel 44 1509 890302
Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk





  #4  
Old July 22nd 03, 09:36 AM posted to alt.satellite.internet,uk.telecom.broadband
John Owens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Community needs satellite service with more than one base station

Thanks I have contacted them. Let me be clear we are already planning on
using wifi to share within the village. We are committed to at least one
satellite feed for the mobile 'outreach' service and will use satellite for
other clusters which eventually become linked.

I still need help in finding the satellite suppliers.

Cheers

--
John Owens


Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk


  #5  
Old July 22nd 03, 04:37 PM posted to alt.satellite.internet,uk.telecom.broadband
Clueless
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 49
Default Community needs satellite service with more than one base station

John Owens wrote:
Thanks I have contacted them. Let me be clear we are already planning
on using wifi to share within the village. We are committed to at
least one satellite feed for the mobile 'outreach' service and will
use satellite for other clusters which eventually become linked.

I still need help in finding the satellite suppliers.

Cheers


I dont understand, why a satellite outreach service at all ?
Why is it not feasible to install SDSL networking between your main site and
any satellite locations so that you reuse existing BT telephone wiring with
an EPS 8 or 9 circuit and get a permanent connection ? This would require a
leased line as you plan to the main site, all the satellite sites to be
within the same exchange & within a radius of 6 miles from the exchange, so
my understanding is that you could use this to extend the reach
dramatically.
Or consider the community LAN service that BT promote which requires
adoption by an ISP & sponsorship by a development agency ?
That way you are not limited to the 2 MB backhaul. Then use combinations of
WiFi and SDSL to extend reach.

S. Althaf


  #6  
Old July 26th 03, 07:31 AM posted to alt.satellite.internet,uk.telecom.broadband
Clueless
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 49
Default Community needs satellite service with more than one base station

John Owens wrote:
BT promoted community initiative or ISPs

We have approached BT at three different levels and nobody mentioned
it. We are also approaching ISP's. No results yet. Grateful for any
pinters (sorry, pointers !)



http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1059

S. Althaf


  #7  
Old July 26th 03, 12:18 PM posted to alt.satellite.internet,uk.telecom.broadband
John Owens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Community needs satellite service with more than one base station


"Clueless" wrote in message
...
John Owens wrote:
BT promoted community initiative or ISPs

We have approached BT at three different levels and nobody mentioned
it. We are also approaching ISP's. No results yet. Grateful for any
pinters (sorry, pointers !)



http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1059

S. Althaf


Thanks for the link.

Yes I had registered our interest for exchange activate. It could be (or
have been ) part of the solution. But I still need satellite for the mobile
(or more correctly transportable) service.

Cheers

--
John Owens


Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ADV : UK : Local Wireless Internet access & community network provider for rural areas - UK Kijoma uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 26 July 12th 03 05:43 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2020 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.