bnc hub

Old July 21st 03, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Reeves

Default bnc hub

Hi,

I'm wondering how to connect my home network to ADSL. The network is
bnc but all (?) adsl routers seem to be rj45 types. So I was thinking
about a adsl router feeding the nearest PC (for speed) and a hub,
bnc/rj45 which would then link to the other PCs. Adding rj45 cabling
would be a pain, not to mention quite expensive.

Since a 4 port router is only a bit more than an adsl modem it would
seem a good idea to get a router rather than just an adsl modem
(future proofing), plus I guess it would have more features.

But, where can you get a rj45/bnc hub? They seem a bit thin on the
ground. Also are there any problems with this scheme?

TIA

....malcolm
--
Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
, or ).

http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

NEW - Desktop ToDo/Reminder program (free)
Old July 21st 03, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Uncle Wobbly

look around, my first hub was 8xRJ45x10Mb and a BNC socket, so they do
exist. You could connect the DSL router to an RJ45 socket and then link your
existing 10Base2(?) into the BNC on the side.

this might get you started...

http://www.lanshop.co.uk/en108.htm

Old July 21st 03, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David J Edgar

"Malcolm Reeves" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm wondering how to connect my home network to ADSL. The network is
bnc but all (?) adsl routers seem to be rj45 types. So I was thinking
about a adsl router feeding the nearest PC (for speed) and a hub,
bnc/rj45 which would then link to the other PCs. Adding rj45 cabling
would be a pain, not to mention quite expensive.

Since a 4 port router is only a bit more than an adsl modem it would
seem a good idea to get a router rather than just an adsl modem
(future proofing), plus I guess it would have more features.

But, where can you get a rj45/bnc hub? They seem a bit thin on the
ground. Also are there any problems with this scheme?

TIA

...malcolm

Try a used EN108 (not EN108TP) from eBay.

I've just sold two for about 15 each - sorry none left.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/html/prod_h...mbps.htm#en108

Dave.

--
David J Edgar
Cedaryacht Limited

Old July 21st 03, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HamMan

[...]

If you dont want to cable, have u considered wireless?

Old July 21st 03, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jkm

I'm pretty sure that 3Com do BNC hubs (at least they used to). Just done a
quick search on Google and it threw up a lot of results so looks promising

Old July 22nd 03, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

I dont like using BNC anymore after having had to look after 30 computers
using BNC connectors and cable - if the cable is broken anywhere the whole
network went down till the fault could be found - sometimes quick 10 mins
sometimes longer.

I use RJ45 cable now as a cable fault causes one computer to lose its
network connection.

Old July 23rd 03, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Keith Roberts wrote:

I dont like using BNC anymore after having had to look after 30 computers
using BNC connectors and cable - if the cable is broken anywhere the whole
network went down till the fault could be found - sometimes quick 10 mins
sometimes longer.

I agree. The cost of re-equipping with all UTP style networking gear is
less than the cost of a bag of silver plated BNC connectors

Bite the bullet, and scrap the BNC stuff. You can get connectors for
legacy systems from companies like Black Box or Betterbox tho.

Most resonable hubs have ONE BNC port on the back tho.

Old July 24th 03, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bite the bullet, and scrap the BNC stuff. You can get connectors for
legacy systems from companies like Black Box or Betterbox tho.

Most resonable hubs have ONE BNC port on the back tho.

As an aside - it's worth keeping hold of at least one hub in the spares
cupboard. One thing you can't do as easily with a switch is run a
network packet sniffer. Hence having a hub handy to insert when you need
to do some low level diagnostics can be useful.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 24th 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Malcolm Reeves wrote:

It is nice of everyone to suggest I scrap the bnc network but really
that wasn't my question. Plus you all have your facts wrong!

Cheeky sod! ;-)

OK lets spell it out:-

I have already looked at this and if you take a moment to consider you
will see that as I have all the bnc equipment already the price of bnc
fitting does not come into it. Plus, in fact, bnc connectors are
quite cheap (about 1 quid each AFAIR) and coax cable is much cheaper
too. Added to this is the fact that you can extend bnc easier.
So, the toss up is between buying new face plates at about a fiver
each for each of the 5 PCs (or 6 if you count the unused node). Plus
taking up all the carpets and putting in new utp cable. Or buying a
hub with rj45 and bnc. The hub looks cheaper (or about the same),
PLUS it's a whole lot less work. Also, since the number of PCs is
more than the 4 ports you find on a lot of ADSL routers then I might
need a hub anyway if I went all RJ45.

Which brings me back to my question. Who stocks rj45/bnc hubs (or who
stocks the cheapest)? And is there any reason this won't work?

As I said before - yes this will work just fine. Hubs with BNCs are
harder to find and a bit more pricey than straight RJ45 only ones but
you can get them, for example:-

http://www.dabs.com/68XWS

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 24th 03, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Reeves

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:36:38 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Malcolm Reeves wrote:

It is nice of everyone to suggest I scrap the bnc network but really
that wasn't my question. Plus you all have your facts wrong!

Cheeky sod! ;-)

Well it was getting a bit Harry Enfield "You don't want to do that!
You want to do this!". And I was only meaning the posts saying
replace the bnc network.

OK lets spell it out:-

Which brings me back to my question. Who stocks rj45/bnc hubs (or who
stocks the cheapest)? And is there any reason this won't work?

As I said before - yes this will work just fine. Hubs with BNCs are
harder to find and a bit more pricey than straight RJ45 only ones but
you can get them, for example:-

http://www.dabs.com/68XWS

Thanks for the link. I have seen cheaper than this though.
Apparently broadband buyer has some, but not listed on the web site.
And Novatech have one (which is a bit cheaper too).

Incidentally I asked dabs if any of their value range were bnc, I
couldn't tell since they didn't give a spec. There answer was that
they source parts from many places and so could not give a spec. Hmm!
A bit like buying flood damaged tins - without labels :-). Could be
caviar or dog food!

....malcolm