Excuse my ignorance, but...

Old July 21st 03, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Default Excuse my ignorance, but...

Paul Hughes wrote:
My exchange is due to be ADSL enabled, and I am confused.

My PC has an " Ethernet: 10/100 for networking & ADSL broadband router".
Can someone please explain to me what this means? What hardware do I need
to connect? Do I still need the modem? Do I just need a router? Or do I
need both?

Your PC has a basic ethernet network card - nothing more, nothing less -
the "& ADSL Broadbad router" bit is correct - but a bit confusing since
it does not tell you anything the first bit did not. A 10/100 ethernet
interface will allow you to plug in an ADSL Router of a type which
expects to be connected via an ethernet network.

So what you need is an ADSL Router like the Solwise SAR715, or the
Netgear DG814 etc. You plug this into the phone socket, and the router
conects to your ethernet socket on the computer via the cable supplied
(usually!). That's all the equipment you need.

You then use your web browser to setup the router with the information
provided by your ISP.

--
Cheers,

John.