When might we see ADSL2 and ADSL2+ in the UK?

Old July 22nd 03, 05:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

Default When might we see ADSL2 and ADSL2+ in the UK?

My guess is that it's going to take about 5 years to get 90% of the UK
broadband enabled and a few more for all of them to get to 2mbps and then in
a few more years BT will be itching to deploy the new technology to try and
make more wads of cash so we'd be looking at the year 2013 possibly?!

I read somewhere that broadband in Japan is much faster than UK, like 10mpbs
or something, and costs very little in comparison with our ****ty 512k
services.

Old July 22nd 03, 06:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
My guess is that it's going to take about 5 years to get 90% of the UK
broadband enabled and a few more for all of them to get to 2mbps and then

in
a few more years BT will be itching to deploy the new technology to try

and
make more wads of cash so we'd be looking at the year 2013 possibly?!

I read somewhere that broadband in Japan is much faster than UK, like

10mpbs
or something, and costs very little in comparison with our ****ty 512k
services.

http://www.isp-planet.com/technology...adsl2plus.html

An interesting read

Old July 22nd 03, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matthew Haigh

In article , tHatDudeUK
writes
I read somewhere that broadband in Japan is much faster than UK, like 10mpbs
or something, and costs very little in comparison with our ****ty 512k
services.

"****ty 512k"? Pah. I remember being very envious of a friend who could
connect at 9600 when I could only afford a 2400 modem (which was fast
compared to the 300 baud acoustic coupler I'd used before...).

fx: wanders off into the distance mumbling about the youth of today not
knowing they're born

Matt :-)
--
Matthew Haigh --
GCRSoft, providing SMS solutions since 1996...
Old July 22nd 03, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:19:45 +0100, Matthew Haigh
wrote:

"****ty 512k"? Pah. I remember being very envious of a friend who could
connect at 9600 when I could only afford a 2400 modem (which was fast
compared to the 300 baud acoustic coupler I'd used before...).

I can remember seeing a Courier HST in action for the 1st time. Ploughing
along at an amazing 9600 baud when the best a hayes could do was 2400.

Of course the purists said it wasnt 'standard' doncha know. BBSs and their
users thought otherwise.

fx: wanders off into the distance mumbling about the youth of today not
knowing they're born

Know where you are coming from :-)

greg

Matt :-)

--
$ReplyAddress =~ s#\@.*$##; # Delete everything after the '@'
Alley Gator. With those hypnotic big green eyes
Old July 22nd 03, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Matthew Haigh" wrote in message
In article , tHatDudeUK
writes
I read somewhere that broadband in Japan is much faster than UK, like

10mpbs
or something, and costs very little in comparison with our ****ty 512k
services.

"****ty 512k"? Pah. I remember being very envious of a friend who could
connect at 9600 when I could only afford a 2400 modem (which was fast
compared to the 300 baud acoustic coupler I'd used before...).

fx: wanders off into the distance mumbling about the youth of today not
knowing they're born

But in terms of today's technology when you think Japanese people get 10mbps
for less than we get 512k there's something going wrong here. Especially
when the fastest services available are 2mb.

I used to have a 56k modem and was very impressed at the time and on
occasions use the 9600 modem capabilities of my T68i mobile phone over
GSM... 56k was like revolutionary at the time because it went way beyond
what people thought was the fastest a modem could possibly go by using error
correction and I applaud the person who invented the standards... However,
now I expect more unfortunately like when I spend £100 in a processor I
don't expect to get a 486 sx 33mhz....

What I want is to be able to download a DVD in under an hour, roflol....

Old July 22nd 03, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Smith

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message

"HamMan" wrote in message
And all i want to do is download a DVD in less than a fortnight. Damn
56k

mutters as people dont know how lucky they are to have ADSL

Get cable/DSL. In some cases it's cheaper than an unmetred 56k dialup
package. Example. BTopenworld 24hr 56k approx £16. NTL cable internet 128k
£15.

You have to realise that not everybody lives in a cable/ADSL area. :-( So
simply "getting it" can be easier said than done...

Stephen.

Old July 22nd 03, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"HamMan" wrote in message
And all i want to do is download a DVD in less than a fortnight. Damn
56k

mutters as people dont know how lucky they are to have ADSL

Get cable/DSL. In some cases it's cheaper than an unmetred 56k dialup
package. Example. BTopenworld 24hr 56k approx £16. NTL cable internet

128k
£15.

You have to realise that not everybody lives in a cable/ADSL area. :-( So
simply "getting it" can be easier said than done...

Unfortunately true but there's always cable internet too or if you're rich
satellite...

Old July 22nd 03, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

/me sticks tongue firmly in cheek and takes a deep breath;

Not this same old subject again;

We'll get that rate when we all live in small housing boxes stacked high,
with a population density about ten times our current level, when the
majority do not have cars and there are insufficient roads for the cars
anyway, when the trains run on time and are clean, packed and organised,
when we have an average height of about 5 foot 4 (thatıs a guess), and our
average weight drops by about 40%, (another guess), when we can afford to
spend at least £35 billion on the rollout, when we work harder and more
efficiently, when we eat less cr*p and more rice and vegetables, with lower
cholesterol levels and we have our entire economy blown up and rebuilt from
scratch by the USA.

In other words, never in your or my lifetime on a National Scale.

If you had 10Mbit, what would you do with it ? You donıt actually think that
the web hosting people would actually build their end to cope with n times
10Mbit leeches trying to access it.

Whilst the question is entirely reasonable, the OP is perhaps a fully
subscribed member of the Commercially Unrealistic and Hopelessly Optimistic
Society (note I donıt say a paid up member as the OP obviously has no idea
of the economics of the world in which we live)

Old July 22nd 03, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tHatDudeUK

"Graham in Melton" wrote in message
/me sticks tongue firmly in cheek and takes a deep breath;
If you had 10Mbit, what would you do with it ? You donıt actually think

that
the web hosting people would actually build their end to cope with n times
10Mbit leeches trying to access it.

10mbits per second could be useful for download applications such as
bittorrent which is based on an entirely different concept to web hosting...
You download the same file from a number of machines at the same time hence
if there were enough downloaders you could get a linux ISO speeding it's way
to you at 10mbits no problem... Imagine how fast and nice that'd be.
However, most people who use bittorrent are starting to leech and not upload
as well as download. It does however enable you to get more stuff at the
same time hence reducing time to download small sets of files.

Also, aparrently with new developments in fibre optics apparently some hosts
will be up to gigabyte bandwidth, and I don't mean LAN either but I imagine
this'll be the rich one's only for a long while, eg. RIAA, Micro$oft etc....

The internet is getting faster! Don't think 10mbits will ever be redundant
as oneday people will look upon that like they do now on 9600kbps. (Probably
not till the year 3000 with BT's current rate of investment but hey....)

Old July 23rd 03, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Reeves

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:31:49 +0100, "Stephen Smith"
wrote:

You have to realise that not everybody lives in a cable/ADSL area. :-( So
simply "getting it" can be easier said than done...

Have you thought about starting your own WiFi network? A 2MB leased
line is about 16K pa, share that with 60 people and it is 22.50 pm.
Can you find 60 people to pay that in a 500m radius?

....malcolm

--
Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
, or ).

http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

NEW - Desktop ToDo/Reminder program (free)