Some - probably stupid - questions

Old July 22nd 03, 05:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shaun McCann

Default Some - probably stupid - questions

OK,

I've signed up for by broadband account (I've gone with Nildram) and it's
due to go active on Thursday (24th).

I ordered a router from them when I set up my account with them. That
arrived yesterday. I've connected it all up. It appears to be working. It
does everything that the documentation says it should apart from the PPPoE
LED coming on but I assume that is because my account does not get activated
'til Thursday.

I've also set up the network card that it's all plugged into the way the
documentation says I should.

So how do I use my broadband account when it goes live?

Do I need to set up an account in internet options the way I had to with my
Freeserve dial-up account as I've noticed that the account comes up as a LAN
or High Speed Internet connection on my network connections when I open up
My Network Places?

The other I need to ask is the cocumentation for my router says I need a
terminal control program to be able to check/set the internal settings for
my router. Any suggestions for what program I should use? My router is a
Zyxel Prestige 650.

Cheers,

Shaun.

Old July 22nd 03, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lek

Yep "definitely" one stupid question in there.......

UK ADSL uses PPPoA so how you get a PPPoE LED lit is a miracle.

"Shaun McCann" wrote in
message ...

Old July 22nd 03, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark&Lisa

Shaun McCann wrote:
Yep "definitely" one stupid question in there.......

UK ADSL uses PPPoA so how you get a PPPoE LED lit is a miracle.

FYI my router says PPPoE/ACT underneath the LED I was on about.

Apart from that thanks very much for your reponse which was of no use
whatsoever apart from your attempt to make yourself look big and clever at
the expense of my apparent lack of knowledge.

Shaun.

nildram offer modem support if you ring them

Old July 22nd 03, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"Shaun McCann" wrote:

Yep "definitely" one stupid question in there.......

UK ADSL uses PPPoA so how you get a PPPoE LED lit is a miracle.

FYI my router says PPPoE/ACT underneath the LED I was on about.

Apart from that thanks very much for your reponse which was of no use
whatsoever apart from your attempt to make yourself look big and clever at
the expense of my apparent lack of knowledge.

Shaun.

Hi,
take a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/, they have
reviews and setup details for several ZyXel routers, so the one you have is
probably similar to something in the reviews.

--

Martin
Old July 23rd 03, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shaun McCann

All sorted now. Apparently it was because I had another computer connected
on my network that thought it was the internet gateway so every time I
wanted to connect to the internet rather than use my broadband connection my
computer would try and dial out on the other computer.

Doh!!!

Shaun.

Old July 24th 03, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lek

feck orf..... there are NO hard and fast rules for posting in any
newsgroup!!!!! UK or elsewhere...

THERE ARE ONLY GUIDELINES..... CREATED BY DINOSAURS AND USED BY
DINOSAURS.......

MS's stuff always post at the top and leave all the message in......
therefor sooner or later you hippy linux users will have to comply as the
rest of the world will....

For me I will continue to post exactly how I like.

"Mike" duab wrote in message
.net...
Lek wrote...

Yep "definitely" one stupid question in there.......

snip some 40ish lines

Please don't top post in the uk hierarchy.

Assistance with correct posting procedures can be found at the
following URLs:

http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html#ss3.1
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html#3

If you want to argue about top posting read the following url
first:

http://www.mit.edu:8008/bloom-picayu...edu/perl/13093

--
Mike

Old July 24th 03, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lek

OK I will, because you are one of these pathetic assholes who post to a
newsgroup without first doing any research for yourself.... in short you
expect everyone else to do everything for you.

Do us all a favour and only post when you have tried to find the answer for
yourself!!!! 2 mins searching on google would had reveealed that the UK uses
PPPoA and not PPPoE.

OK?

Do us another favour..... tell me when you next need a ****.... i'll come
round and wipe your aris for you.....

"Shaun McCann" wrote in
message ...
I only confirmed what you already 99% knew........ hence the title

"Some -
probably stupid - questions"

Now you blame me for confirming your suspicions?

No I had a go at you for picking up on an apparent mistake of mine and you
pointing it out in an attempt to make yourself look big and clever. Why

else
would you do it? Care to enlighten us?

I'm sorry, but you should be more specific with your posts, this is a
"newsgroup", not a "feel good" group.

And it's not a vehicle for you to try and embarrass other people as you so
obviously tried to do with me with your reply to my post.................

Shaun.

Old July 24th 03, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lek

oooooooooooh by the rules of your newgroups first to plonk loses (same
with mentioning Hitler)

Bye loser

"CB" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:33:16 +0100 and in article EMUTa.886$G85.527
@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net, Lek said...
feck orf..... there are NO hard and fast rules for posting in any
newsgroup!!!!! UK or elsewhere...

*plonk*

Goodbye ****wit.

--
CB

Old July 24th 03, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Bye loser

This sums up all I was going to add

*plonk*