Late Night Ringing

Old July 22nd 03, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward Holt

Default Late Night Ringing

Ever since I've had ADSL installed my old rotary pulse dial handset will
ring very briefly during the night - anytime between 10pm and 5am I think.

I normally leave the PC on downloading stuff.
There's also a modern digital cordless telephone connected but this doesn't
ring.

Is there any reason for this?

Old July 22nd 03, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

Ever since I've had ADSL installed my old rotary pulse dial handset will
ring very briefly during the night - anytime between 10pm and 5am I think.

We used to have a phone like that at home, IIRC my dad (who was a bt
engineer at the time) said it had something to do with bt daily line checks,
which can cause some phones to ring briefly (especially the old ones!)
Maybe the DSL filters are doing something which just tips something over the
balance for that phone?

---

Old July 22nd 03, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NewsGroups

"phantom" wrote in message
Ever since I've had ADSL installed my old rotary pulse dial handset will
ring very briefly during the night - anytime between 10pm and 5am I

think.

We used to have a phone like that at home, IIRC my dad (who was a bt
engineer at the time) said it had something to do with bt daily line

checks,
which can cause some phones to ring briefly (especially the old ones!)
Maybe the DSL filters are doing something which just tips something over

the
balance for that phone?

---

Had the same with an old phone. Changed the phone for a new one, and the
ring stopped.

Old July 22nd 03, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
News

It's the same here, however, we have a rather recent phone (1 year old) and
it rings every night. I rang up BT business support and they confirmed that
it is a line test as part of their service.