Netgear DG814 solution to firmware 4.8 and 4.9 disconnection problems.

Old July 22nd 03, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren Lambert

Default Netgear DG814 solution to firmware 4.8 and 4.9 disconnection problems.

If you have started suffering disconnection problems with firmware 4.8 or
4.9rc1 go back to firmware 4.7.

After upgrading to 4.8 my computers (all of the them connected to the
router) would loose their connection after about an hour.

I reverted to firmware 4.7 and everything is fine again...
I will not be upgrading the firmware in a hurry again.

ADSL supplier = Virgin.net.

Regards
Darren

Old July 22nd 03, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Smith

Darren Lambert said:

If you have started suffering disconnection problems with firmware 4.8 or
4.9rc1 go back to firmware 4.7.

After upgrading to 4.8 my computers (all of the them connected to the
router) would loose their connection after about an hour.

I reverted to firmware 4.7 and everything is fine again...
I will not be upgrading the firmware in a hurry again.

ADSL supplier = Virgin.net.

Regards
Darren

So are you saying that 4.7 is the most reliable?

Just curious as mine's still using 4.4, dated Oct. 28, 2002. (!)

Had it 9 days now and not a single hitch so far that I can blame on the
router. Brilliant stuff. :-)

Actually tell a lie.... why does grc.com report my port 21 as "Closed"
whereas all other ports are "Stealthed"?

Any ideas what problems existed and that were fixed between versions 4.4 and
4.7?

Stephen.

Old July 22nd 03, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ritchie

"Stephen Smith" wrote in message ...
Actually tell a lie.... why does grc.com report my port 21 as "Closed"
whereas all other ports are "Stealthed"?

Stephen,
This seems appears to be a bug in v4.4. A workaround is to edit the
configuration file and reload it.

In the file you'll see a section like this:-

[FTP]
username=dg814
password=dg814
port=21
ftp=disable
[end]

Change the 'port=21' to something like 'port=2121'

See this thread for more info:-

From: Ritchie )
Subject: How to setup DG814 with firmware 4.4 for FTP - very long!
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 2003-02-14 07:35:41 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...news.dfncis.de

--
Ritchie

From: Ritchie )
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 2003-02-14 07:35:41 PST

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ID-156657.news
..dfncis.de

Hi Ritchie,

Many thanks for your reply - I shall perhaps have a dabble later on.

This does, however, raise the following question:

What on /earth/ is the [FTP] section doing in the DG814's config file?!? Any
idea why it's there?

Also, any clue on what would happen if the following lines:

[FTP]
username=dg814
password=dg814
port=21
ftp=disable

... were deleted from the file?

Regards,

Stephen, who "port forwards" no services. (except for Quake 3 occasionally)

Old July 22nd 03, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren Lambert

Hi Mike

The router was still connected to the ISP, the "i" light was still blinking,
and some traffic still flowing.
When the computers became disconnected strangely some traffic would still
filter through.
Http (port 80), Pop3 (110) would stop yet other ports would still work.
Come to think of it the working ports where those with port forwarding set.

I have 2 desktops with the same NIC (3com 3C905B-TX) and a laptop with a
built-in NIC, cant remember the type.
When one would disconnect they all would, that's what suggested it was the
router and not an individual pc/nic

Cheers
Darren

"Mike" duab wrote in message
.net...
Darren Lambert wrote...

If you have started suffering disconnection problems with firmware 4.8 or
4.9rc1 go back to firmware 4.7.

After upgrading to 4.8 my computers (all of the them connected to the
router) would loose their connection after about an hour.

I reverted to firmware 4.7 and everything is fine again...
I will not be upgrading the firmware in a hurry again.

Did the router actually become disconnected, ie the "i" light
went out, or did you just find that you coudn't connect to email
and web etc., a bit like having a firewall on "locked"?
--
Mike

Old July 22nd 03, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Whitcombe

Ritchie said:

"Stephen Smith" wrote in message

Actually tell a lie.... why does grc.com report my port 21 as "Closed"
whereas all other ports are "Stealthed"?

Stephen,
This seems appears to be a bug in v4.4. A workaround is to edit the
configuration file and reload it.

In the file you'll see a section like this:-

[FTP]
username=dg814
password=dg814
port=21
ftp=disable
[end]

Change the 'port=21' to something like 'port=2121'

See this thread for more info:-

Im guessing its a FTP server for possibly receiving its firmware upgrades
either that or its a non implemented feature. The config file also contains
snmp lines but the router doesnt support it. That could mean support could
be added later or its a standard file for all their hardware and the non
related stuff is ignored by the router itself.

Old July 22nd 03, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Heather

I've been having problems at work with a DG814 (4.8 firmware) and PlusNet -
I have the same modem (4.8 firmware) with Pipex at home with no problems at
all. Today I installed a Netgear DM602 instead to see if that cures the
problems - will let you know.

- Simon.

PS. If you don't need a 4 port switch then the DM602 is much smaller than
the DG814 and supports both USB and ethernet.

From: Ritchie )
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 2003-02-14 07:35:41 PST

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ID-156657.news
..dfncis.de

--
Ritchie

I asked NG about this way back, and guess what? They never replied to my
email.
I'll give this config edit a try to. Ta.