Proper Modulation to use

Old July 22nd 03, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maximilian K.

Default Proper Modulation to use

Hey there.

I never had ordered a modem kit from the ISP. Instead bought a PCI modem and
configured everything myself.

Both G.dmt and ANSI T1.413.i2 modulations will work with my Virgin.net ADSL
line and PCI modem card. I tend to use G.dmt as it's "internationalised"
version of ANSI standard. I don't ask about G.lite since it's splitterless
and I know splitters are present in the kit.

Just interested, what do broadband ISP themselves set for modulation when
installing a new user with a new user kit? G.dmt or ANSI ?
Now answering this must be simple as sneeze.
--
_______________________
Maximillian!

Old July 23rd 03, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Whitcombe

"Maximilian K." wrote in
message ...
Hey there.

I never had ordered a modem kit from the ISP. Instead bought a PCI modem

and
configured everything myself.

Both G.dmt and ANSI T1.413.i2 modulations will work with my Virgin.net

ADSL
line and PCI modem card. I tend to use G.dmt as it's "internationalised"
version of ANSI standard. I don't ask about G.lite since it's splitterless
and I know splitters are present in the kit.

Its G.DMT however most modems and routers ive seen have a "multimode"
setting which autodetects.

--
---
Regards,

Old July 26th 03, 12:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maximilian K.

"Richard Whitcombe" wrote in message

"Maximilian K." wrote in
message ...
Hey there.

I never had ordered a modem kit from the ISP. Instead bought a PCI modem

and
configured everything myself.

Both G.dmt and ANSI T1.413.i2 modulations will work with my Virgin.net

ADSL
line and PCI modem card. I tend to use G.dmt as it's "internationalised"
version of ANSI standard. I don't ask about G.lite since it's

splitterless
and I know splitters are present in the kit.

Its G.DMT however most modems and routers ive seen have a "multimode"
setting which autodetects.

Well, my PCI modem would work in either mode. I didn't notice any difference
in download speeds (several tests were performed).
I thought: once proper protocol is detected after first successful
connection, just fix it down so modem wouldn't waste time trying to
negotiate it.

Thank you for answer guys, it looks like G.dmt is also more appropriate in
UK as ANSI standard belongs more to States.

--
Maximillian!