I'm probably being thick.....

Old July 23rd 03, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

Default I'm probably being thick.....

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
but can someone please explain to me why PlusNet are charging 21.99 per
month for their Home ADSL product but their Easystart product, consisting

of
essentially the same service but with a *free modem* and *free connection*
costs 27.99 per month. See here.....

I think you answered your own question.....there not free and its a ploy to
decieve vulnerable beginners into thinking they are getting a good
deal....NOT.

Old July 23rd 03, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Simon wrote:
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
but can someone please explain to me why PlusNet are charging 21.99
per month for their Home ADSL product but their Easystart product,
consisting of essentially the same service but with a *free modem*
and *free connection* costs 27.99 per month. See here.....

I think you answered your own question.....there not free and its a
ploy to decieve vulnerable beginners into thinking they are getting a
good deal....NOT.

Exactly. But isn't it deceiving to the point of lying outright as the free
products do not appear to be free at all. Shouldn't there be a law against
that?

Leading on from that, is it possible to apply pressure in any way, through
the ASA or Trading Standards for them to truly supply the free products
without charge. i.e. the whole shebang for 21.99 per month and no up-front
costs?

I'd quite like to sign up with PlusNet - please don't try to talk me out of
it - but I don't need an ADSL modem and I'm not paying the 60ish connection
charge. Thus I am particularly interested in the "free connection" deal but
will not pay 72 for the pleasure.

Old July 23rd 03, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In an article dated Wed, 23 Jul 2003 21:49:32 +0100,
Tiny Tim made the earth move by saying......

Simon wrote:
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
but can someone please explain to me why PlusNet are charging 21.99
per month for their Home ADSL product but their Easystart product,
consisting of essentially the same service but with a *free modem*
and *free connection* costs 27.99 per month. See here.....

I think you answered your own question.....there not free and its a
ploy to decieve vulnerable beginners into thinking they are getting a
good deal....NOT.

Exactly. But isn't it deceiving to the point of lying outright as the free
products do not appear to be free at all. Shouldn't there be a law against
that?

Ah but! (taking the part of Plusnet here (not condoning their pricing
system)) there are 2 different products - ADSL Home at 21.99 and
Broadband Easystart at 27.99.

Leading on from that, is it possible to apply pressure in any way, through
the ASA or Trading Standards for them to truly supply the free products
without charge. i.e. the whole shebang for 21.99 per month and no up-front
costs?

See above they will class it as 2 different products.

--
Mugwump

To reply, replace INVALID with pipex{dot}com
Old July 23rd 03, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Simon wrote:
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
but can someone please explain to me why PlusNet are charging
21.99
per month for their Home ADSL product but their Easystart product,
consisting of essentially the same service but with a *free modem*
and *free connection* costs 27.99 per month. See here.....

I think you answered your own question.....there not free and its a
ploy to decieve vulnerable beginners into thinking they are getting
a good deal....NOT.

Exactly. But isn't it deceiving to the point of lying outright as
the free products do not appear to be free at all. Shouldn't there
be a law against that?

Ah but! (taking the part of Plusnet here (not condoning their pricing
system)) there are 2 different products - ADSL Home at 21.99 and
Broadband Easystart at 27.99.

That might be their excuse to wriggle, although I suspect the provision of
anti-spam and anti-virus would make the stronger legal case than simply
renaming what is otherwise the same service.

It still ****es me off that they trumpet the inclusion of these free items
and add 72 per annum to the price to cover them. I know there is no such
thing as a free lunch but I fail to see how PN can claim these things are
free when the price mysteriously rises.

'Nuff said on my part. I'm happy to hear any more opinions, especially from
a legal perspective.

Old July 23rd 03, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Simon wrote:
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think there is a legal problem. As Mugwump says,
they are two different products, one for the more
knowledgeable and discerning customer at 21.99 and one for
the less knowledgeable and less discerning customer at
27.99. The more expensive product includes a "free" modem
and "free" connection, i.e. it is all included in the price.
I agree, the wording is intended to (and will) attract
customers. It is more eye catching than including modem and
connection. Retailers use the same sort of advertising for
the same reasons. Don't think it is illegal.

Horses for courses. Some will readily pay for the facilities
offered at 27.99 and consider it good value. Others, like
yourself, will compare prices and go for the 21.99 package
considering that to be better value. I have the 21.99
package and would still have it against the 27.99 package.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old July 23rd 03, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Plusnet Support Team

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message

[...]

Hi,

As has already been stated in the thread, the two products are different.
Easystart is meant to be just that, an easy way for new users to get online
using broadband for one inclusive price and made as uncomplicated as
possible. Obviously this may not meet everyone's requirements, in that case
we do have other ADSL products you may prefer.

I can think of other companies offering free activation that charge a higher
subscription, the difference being they may not provide an option to pay for
activation up front and subsequently pay a lower subscription.

Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have any other queries regarding our
services.

Kind Regards,
Rob

Old July 23rd 03, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

How many supermarkets will give you some item free if you purchase another -
note its not two at half price but buy one get one free - sells more that
way.

Mobile phones have been doing this for years - sign up with us for 12 months
at this cost and get a free phone - but sold as FREE PHONE!!!!

People always want a good deal - even if it isnt they have got some thing
for FREE. Just another of the wonderfull sales ideas for the gullible..

Anyway if you can find someone who signs up for this deal can I have some
contact details as I need to sell a bridge. LOL

Old July 23rd 03, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Tiny Tim wrote:
It still ****es me off that they trumpet the inclusion of these free items
and add 72 per annum to the price to cover them. I know there is no such
thing as a free lunch but I fail to see how PN can claim these things are
free when the price mysteriously rises.

They're not doing anything very different from the mobile phone companies
who offer "free" or very cheap phones that really cost several hundred
pounds, as long as you sign up for a contract. They're not in business to
lose money, so they have to get it from you one way or another, otherwise
there are no mobile phones for anybody.

Rod.

Old July 24th 03, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:15:05 +0100, "Tiny Tim" wrote:

Yes, but if baked beans were 25p a tin last week and this week it's buy one
get one free, you expect to pay 25p the pair and not 30p or whatever.

Sorry, it's beans with sausages in the tin for 30p, not the same. Whether
you think the price is to pay for the "free" connection fee and modem, or
not, they're "clearly" different products. If the monthly fee came down
after 12 months, then it would more easily be accepted as no longer the
'free offer' deal it currently is.

Other ISPs are offering something "similar" (eg UK Online has "save 89
pounds" where they cover the cost of connection, and sell a router for
89.99 - instead of the RRP of 128). Whether that router could be had
for less money (I did try briefly to find more about the router, but
cannot identify it from the photo). So, on the one hand, we have PN
charging just 27.99 a month, and throwing in a USB unit, while you'd
presumably be happy that UK Online, charging 27.99, and (presumably a
bulk deal on the hardware) a router at 89.99, isn't using some part of
that 27.99 to cover the BT setup fees. Peter M.

Old July 24th 03, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 24 Jul 2003 12:34, "Tiny Tim" wrote:

Then I guess that makes Pipex Extreme Solo package pretty good
value at 23.44 per month with free connection but no equipment,
or with the option of a modem and splitters for a one-off charge
of 17.57. All prices including VAT.

Certainly does. I don't know whether that's to push themselves at
the home market to become a dominant player, or because they tempt
users to have one of their business styled accounts for any higher
speed or even a fixed IP address. To get a static IP I'd have to
pay Pipex 27.95 (+VAT) per month, and a 60 +VAT setup fee. It's
not that important to me, but is useful at times. Going back to
PlusNet, however, they don't have the 27.99 charge for just the
first year, and whether you like it or not, the standard account
doesn't offer virus or spam filtering (and I'm not sure whether
PN charges 6 pounds for those options, or whether they're worth
using), so this is still an "apples v oranges" comparison. Peter