I'm probably being thick.....

Old July 23rd 03, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clunk

Default I'm probably being thick.....

Tiny Tim wrote:

but can someone please explain to me why PlusNet are charging 21.99 per
month for their Home ADSL product but their Easystart product, consisting of
essentially the same service but with a *free modem* and *free connection*
costs 27.99 per month. See here.....

http://www.plus.net/info2/residentia...broadband.html

The only other additional items in the Easystart service package but not
listed for Home ADSL are spam filtering and anti-virus. Big deal! I can do
that with mail rules and free software, although I happen to use a paid copy
of Norton AV. So that doesn't seem worth 6 per month to me.

So the way I see it, that means the free items cost 72 in the first year.
Either PlusNet are misleading potential customers or I'm being a muppet.
Please help me understand what's going on here.

Thanks,
Tim.

Theres no such thing as "A free lunch" ;-)

Old July 23rd 03, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Clunk wrote:
Tiny Tim wrote:

[...]

Then they shouldn't describe it as "free"!

They should say .... "for only a further 6 per month get a modem and
connection included".

It would sound a bit stupid saying "for only a further 6 per month get a
*free* modem and connection", but that's virtually what they are saying.

Old July 24th 03, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

In article ,
says...

It would sound a bit stupid saying "for only a further 6 per month get a
*free* modem and connection", but that's virtually what they are saying.

Plusnet have recently been told off by Trading Standards for misleading
their customers over the Fax2Email service that they were 'advertising'
on their web site, yet the service wasn't available to new subscribers.

Initially, Trading Standards felt it wasn't a matter they could deal
with, but, AIUI, a further complaint was enough to convince them that
something needed to be done.

Plusnet (Force 9) are also in this month's PC Pro magazine for fouling
up a customer's ADSL connection, albeit eventually found that BT were at
fault.

The only good thing about Plusnet is their ADSL connectivity, and a few
members of their 'online' support team (Rob, Mike, Ian)

Their accounts department haven't a clue; opening a new ADSL account can
be a hit and miss affair (I now have 2 experiences of this) and their
email service is rather flaky at the best of times.

Some of their "Added Value" services cause other users issues as well,
the internal newsgroups are often full of FTP and web stats complaints.

The truth of the matter is that I can connect, I can receive mail and
news, and I get billed regularly.

But, I always have the nagging expectation that the service is fragile,
and that something is about to break, and more often than not, something
does.

But, for only 21.99 a month, I expect little more.

Old July 24th 03, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 24 Jul 2003 08:08, TX2 wrote:

Plusnet have recently been told off by Trading Standards for misleading
their customers over the Fax2Email service that they were 'advertising'
on their web site, yet the service wasn't available to new subscribers.

I don't suppose there's actually some report filed by Trading Standards
(the way that ASA decisions are online) ? I never had a major problem
with the fact an 0870 couldn't be used, as I wouldn't want such numbers
tied to me keeping an account with a specific ISP (Demon has had these,
for a while, I think, but has a one-time fee after a year) and I got my
number from Inweb for free. However, I have been angry that PN haven't
made any change to their website whilst not offering the facility, such
that they were deliberately misleading and could easily have made good,
if they had the will to take on board the criticisms posted only on the
PlusNet customer feedback newsgroup, at least initially. Peter M.
Old July 27th 03, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Woolley

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:36:22 +0100, Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631
wrote:

On 24 Jul 2003 08:08, TX2 wrote:

Plusnet have recently been told off by Trading Standards for misleading
their customers over the Fax2Email service that they were 'advertising'
on their web site, yet the service wasn't available to new subscribers.

I don't suppose there's actually some report filed by Trading Standards

Probably not.

"Trading Standards" are always mentioned by people is if its one
organisation. Actually, the Trading Standards service is provided by
local authorities - either county councils or your local unitary
authority or London borough.

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old July 27th 03, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:32:16 +0100, Robert Woolley
wrote:

Probably not.

SNIP

Especially as what was stated originally in this thread is not
correct. We did speak to trading standards regarding the Fax2email
issue. My understanding however is that once we had explained the
situation and what we were doing about it, they were happy with the
action we had taken and as such took no action.

I don't want to make a big issue out of this - We certainly could have
handled the entire situation more effectively and have already updated
our procedures to ensure that should a similar situation arise in the
future we will be much more pro-active in dealing with it.

Regards,

Ian
--
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -------