I'm probably being thick.....

Old July 24th 03, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Albrow

Default I'm probably being thick.....

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
but can someone please explain to me why PlusNet are charging 21.99 per
month for their Home ADSL product but their Easystart product, consisting

of
essentially the same service but with a *free modem* and *free connection*
costs 27.99 per month. See here.....

Yes i'm a plusnet customer and maybe bias or something but what is the fuss
about.

Its a 12 month contract. Activation is say 58 and a USB modem, I don't
know 50.
I'll ignor the anti spam and virus package which isn't that cheap

27.99-21.99= 6 pounds difference a month = 72.00 over a year.

As its a 12 month contract and therefore I wouldn't see why you couldn't
change to a Home 500 product at the end of it? or you could leave in any
case.

All the other isps charge a similar amount a month and offer free things as
'special offers' why shouldn't plusnet afterall there are loads of people
that I warn not to go with people like AOL, Bt openwoe etc and are tempted
by the similar flawed offers.

Agreed the wording does very much make it sound at no extra charge though -
maybe plusnet could tone this down a bit?

http://www.plus.net/info2/residentia...broadband.html

The only other additional items in the Easystart service package but not
listed for Home ADSL are spam filtering and anti-virus. Big deal! I can do
that with mail rules and free software, although I happen to use a paid

copy
of Norton AV. So that doesn't seem worth 6 per month to me.

It isn't for may people but is for some apparently - I prefer my own (delete
key, aliases such as sam.kazza, sam.bbc etc and avg)

So the way I see it, that means the free items cost 72 in the first year.
Either PlusNet are misleading potential customers or I'm being a muppet.
Please help me understand what's going on here.

A bit of both, it could be good for the consumer depending on how long you
want ADSL for or if you were just lazy.

Personally I am on a similar thing to pay the activation over the 1st year
with plusnet, this was not marketed in the same way and is an automatically
drop to 21.99 after 12 months.

Sam

Thanks,
Tim.

---
Sent from \\STN1 on HOMENET1 by user Sam Albrow 'Administrator'.

Old July 24th 03, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 24 Jul 2003 10:22, "Tiny Tim" wrote:

I'll willingly pay them 21.99 per month but I am not paying
58 to get connected.

FWIW, I can now better understand your views, and the problems over
switching was probably one of a few percent that takes place each
month when moving from one ISP to another. I'm lucky in having a
second phone line, so no need for a complete break in ADSL service.

However, just as you missed the half-price deal, I missed the free
connection (to Home Surf) which seemed to be an offer for a couple
of weeks (perhaps up to a maximum number of signups) back in Feb.

If you're happy with dial-up again, that's your choice, but you're
perhaps going to have to wait for another BT promotion before the
drop in connection which you require for signup without the high
fee (relatively) you so hate. Anyway when you do sign up on PN
(as I hope there'll be a deal) using http://tinyurl.com/8ib9
would be appreciated for another 50p off my monthly bill :-))
Old July 24th 03, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Albrow

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
Sam Albrow wrote:
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message
but can someone please explain to me why PlusNet are charging 21.99
per month for their Home ADSL product but their Easystart product,
consisting of essentially the same service but with a *free modem*
and *free connection* costs 27.99 per month. See here.....

Yes i'm a plusnet customer and maybe bias or something but what is
the fuss about.

snip

The fuss is because the inclusion of *free* items adds 72 to the annual
bill.

Accepted but:-

- It is still a saving if you only require it for a short period (12-18
month perahaps)
- Other ISP's have similar offers and consumers take them
- I haven't seen anything to stop you upgrading \ downgrading after the 12
months to say Home500 Self Install @ 21.99. (by saying I don't need the
security package???)
- Plusnet give you the option, its a different option, they haven't raised
the price.

I agree that:-

- The inclusion and emphasis on free is not as clear as it could be, if we
are judging plusnet by true standards instead of those with which every one
else gets away with it then they should change it.
- Your right your not being thick but this doesn't make the company evil /
more evil than any others.

In addition:-

- No isp could afford to have the offer and consistantly low rental, plusnet
are offering a choice for customers that are temped by offers even though
they aren't getting the best deal and one for those (more sensible like the
typical uk.t.broadband reader) that recognise the lower fee and opportunity
to buy the modem \ router you want is in the long term better.

At least when other providers introduce special offers they do normally
improve the value to the customer compared to the previous or alternative
deals offered by that same company. I'm not aware of any other company

that
has added free connection and/or free modem while at the same time
increasing the monthly fee.

Frankly I consider myself smart enough to see through the marketing spin

and
I don't expect a free lunch but when PlusNet advertise these items as free
it seems a bit of a cheek to put the monthly price up.

And BTW, I did try to switch from BTO to PlusNet in March this year and

due
to a series of balls-ups and inaction by both BT and PlusNet combined I

did
not get my new service up and running before the half price activation

offer
expired. As a result I spent a small fortune on dialup costs - far more in

week than a month of ADSL would cost. Of course I should have got myself

an
anytime package but PN kept leading me to believe my service was just
minutes/hours away so I didn't think it was necessary. After over a week I
could see I was going to have a problem so I switched to a free AOL

(spits)
trial to tide me over until I got my ADSL up and running, which I never

did.

I do believe the 21.99 package by PN offers outstanding value, which is

why
I would still like to move to them. But I've missed half price activation
and it now galls me to see PN offering *free* connection but charging 6

per
month for it. I'll willingly pay them 21.99 per month but I am not paying
58 to get connected. In the meantime I'm quite happy using Tesco Anytime
dialup and saving a few quid each month.

You don't seem to understand:

BT charge plusnet \ isp's a certain amount per month for the IPStream 500
50:1 or whatever its called - wholesale (say 15 or something, it isn't
correct).

Plusnet \ isp then provide:

- the connection to the internet
- the mail, usenet, portal, webspace, fax or whatever servers and services.
- techincal support
- billing

When plusnet \ isp want to add a new customer they have to pay a connection
fee, this they pass onto the customer.

either:

- Over 12 months (as is with the free connection offers)
- as an upfront cost

ISP's may choose to have frequent offers but the price is per month with
free connection, this doesn't stop after 12 months so yes they are absorbing
it but the rest of the time they are making pure profit.

Figures are a guess and i'm no expert but this is the jist of it.

The point i'm making is that the connection fee is a reasonable cost and
that if you didn't pay it that way you would pay it in the monthly cost. You
can't have it both ways.

....now i'll go and find something more intersting to do.

Sam

---
Sent from \\STN1 on HOMENET1 by user Sam Albrow 'Administrator'.

Old July 25th 03, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:48:57 +0100, "Sam Albrow"
wrote:

Accepted but:-

Big Snip

Hi Chaps,

I can only re-iterate what has already been said from our point of
view - The Easystart product is targeted towards a specific market and
does provide exceptional value for money. It is a very different
offering to our ADSL Home accounts and it isn't really fair to compare
the two like for like. While the underlying connectivity may be the
same, the entire concept of an all included, ready to use package is
something we have never offered before. This is directly comparable to
the offers from a number of other larger ISPs in terms of both pricing
and features.

Please do compare our products and services to that of other ISPs.
Admittedly it is all horses for courses and I'm not saying you won't
find a cheaper provider for basic ADSL connectivity. I would however
be surprised if there is anyone else who can offer the range of
features that we do for less.

I personally think one of the problems here is that we have such a
wide range of products now, it can be confusing to work out exactly
what suits a potential customer best. This is not something we can fix
overnight, but we are working on it. We will be taking the opportunity
to re-structure all of our offerings within the next few months to
ensure that there is clarity between our different product ranges. I
will ensure that we take on board the feedback from this discussion
during the re-design process.

On a more general note, I am often the first to admit when we have
made mistakes and I make it my business to ensure that we learn from
our errors. No doubt a couple of things highlighted within this thread
could have been handled much more effectively and I can only
re-iterate that we don't do things to deliberately upset our
customers! I hope you can appreciate that in any company that has
grown as quickly as we have there will be some 'loose ends' and it can
take events coming to a head for us to properly tie these up. I'm not
saying we are perfect now, I don't think we ever well be, but I can
point to the many areas in which we have improved massively over the
last few years as well as being able to see the problems that we still
have to make an effort to resolve.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, if there is anything here that hasn't
already been addressed by us that you feel should to be then please
let me know.

Regards,

Ian
--
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -------
Old August 18th 03, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

PlusNet Support Team wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:48:57 +0100, "Sam Albrow"
wrote:

Accepted but:-

Big Snip

snip
Thanks for everyone's feedback, if there is anything here that hasn't
already been addressed by us that you feel should to be then please
let me know.

Regards,

Ian

Good to see the monthly charge has been dropped from 27.99 to 24.99. With
free connection and free modem I think that now represents a fair deal.

Makes your ADSL Home product look positively expensive when you roll the
cost of connection over 12 months and do not get a modem included, yet that
costs over 27 per month.