Dynamic IP address on PIPEX xtreme solo

Old July 24th 03, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

Default Dynamic IP address on PIPEX xtreme solo

I've hust read that PIPEX xtreme solo customers can now request a change
from a static IP address to a truly dynamic one.

Can someone please explain what the advantages/disadvantages are in doing
this please and what the differences are.

One small advantage is that you aren't a permanent target for hackers:
one IP on the day they scan you,
a completely different one when they try to get in!

---

Old July 24th 03, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

phantom wrote:

I've hust read that PIPEX xtreme solo customers can now request a change
from a static IP address to a truly dynamic one.

Can someone please explain what the advantages/disadvantages are in doing
this please and what the differences are.

One small advantage is that you aren't a permanent target for hackers:
one IP on the day they scan you,
a completely different one when they try to get in!

in my opinion this is a very very minor advantage - scans and breakins can
take seconds - and once in they can install software which advertises the
hosts new IP address back to the cracker if your IP address changes.

best to install a decent router/gateway/firewall.

kev

---

Old July 24th 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

in my opinion this is a very very minor advantage - scans and breakins can
take seconds - and once in they can install software which advertises the
hosts new IP address back to the cracker if your IP address changes.

sorry, is small too big for you?

---

Old July 24th 03, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

then they cannot get in .
never 100% secure, and where in the post did I recomend not using a
firewall?

The OP was asking for advantages/disadvantages. That was the only advantage
(albeit small and practically useless) I could think of.

---

Old July 24th 03, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monty

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:41:48 +0000 (UTC), "phantom"
wrote:

then they cannot get in .

never 100% secure, and where in the post did I recomend not using a
firewall?

Nowhere nither did you advise the use of one either .
Monty .
Old July 24th 03, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Holiday Report

I think they have messed things up.

I cannot connect to my pc from the internet at all now.

Old July 24th 03, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

Nowhere nither did you advise the use of one either .

Generally I don't give advice when its not asked for...
Eat more fibre, its good for you.

---

Old July 24th 03, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
HA

I'm running Sygate personal firewall as recommended by a friend. Was this a
good recommendation?

Old July 25th 03, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

as for differences:
If you have a static IP, then everytime you connect to the net your ISP will
always give you the Same IP, and when you aren't connected to the net no-one
else will be given that IP. This allows for the easier use of protocols that
depend on knowing where you are on the net (your IP) - Makes it easier to
run mail servers, web servers, FTP etc...

If you have a Dynamic IP... depends upon the implimentation:
Your ISP will have a pool of IP addresses, when you connect an IP will be
pulled from the top of the pile and assigned to you for the duration you are
connected. when you disconnect it will be returned to the pool. while you
are disconnected that IP will probably be given to someone else and you will
receive a different one next time you connect.

There are differences between providers:
Blueyonder cable-modems use DHCP to obtain an IP address (mostly with a
'lease' time of 1 day). Generally this means you can disconnect for the most
part of a day and when you reconnect you will get back the IP you last had.

BTOpenworld (at least when I used them from home) would quite often change
your assigned IP while you were online - unfortunately this has the effect
of terminating any active connections you have:
If you were downloading a large file it will stop, and you will have to
start again (not necessarily from the beginning of the file - and you can
get download managers that can retry for you)
If you were online gaming, you suddenly loose your connection to the game
and drop out.

All this would suggest (and its my personal opinion) that static IPs are
better, ISPs prefer dynamic ones because it means they don't need 1 IP per
customer as they are never all connected at the same time.
Despite this a small number of blueyonder users keep asking on newsgroups
how to get a change of IP forced!? - If you've been banned (by IP) from a
website/game server/whatever, having a new IP will (for the most part -
cookies get round this, but you can delete them) make you appear as a
different user who has yet to be banned.

---

Old July 25th 03, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

"HA" wrote in message
I'm running Sygate personal firewall as recommended by a friend. Was this

good recommendation?

I don't know much about windows firewalls as I run linux, although AFAIK
they all do the job they are supposed to.
Don't forget to have anti-virus protection and to keep up to date with
patches for Internet Explorer, as email & web pages get through the firewall
(obviously or you couldn't download your mail/surf the net) and can contain
code to infect your machine.

---