Which provider

Old July 24th 03, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TraceyAMcB

Default Which provider

Hi there people,

I've just downloaded this newsgroup as i'm about to get broadband.... the
trouble is which one??

Opinions on the best services available and the prices (plus's and minus's)
would be apreciated, thanks in advance

cinders
Old July 24th 03, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mcploppy ©

TraceyAMcB Bashed at the keyboard and said:

Hi there people,

I've just downloaded this newsgroup as i'm about to get broadband....
the trouble is which one??

Opinions on the best services available and the prices (plus's and
minus's) would be apreciated, thanks in advance

cinders

Try here for advice:

www.adslguide.org.uk/

http://www.broadband-help.com/

HTH
--
Greg Crawford
{ Remove both MyShoes to email me}

Old July 24th 03, 08:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mcploppy ©

TraceyAMcB Bashed at the keyboard and said:

Try here for advice:

www.adslguide.org.uk/

http://www.broadband-help.com/

HTH
--
Greg Crawford

Thanks Greg i'll take a look :-)

No problem... your gonna enjoy Broadband.... I have had it for about 6
weeks, and cant ever think why I would want to go back to dial up :-)

Old July 27th 03, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Woolley

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:17:07 +0100, Adrian Kennard wrote:

Eric Parker wrote:
Also some ISP are compared here
http://www.oftel.gov.uk/publications...r/comp0603.htm

unfortunately not all.

Well, presumably not the ones they do not get complaints about.
I am glad to see we are not on the list!

This could be one reason:

"Only companies with a customer base of 100,000 and above are
included"

- although the other probably is that people are happy with A&A!

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old July 27th 03, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

CB wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:45:05 +0100 and in article [email protected]
97703.news.uni-berlin.de, Rev Adrian Kennard said...
: Robert Woolley wrote:
: On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:17:07 +0100, Adrian Kennard wrote:
:
:
: Eric Parker wrote:
:
: ...
: Also some ISP are compared here
: http://www.oftel.gov.uk/publications...r/comp0603.htm
:
: unfortunately not all.
:
: Well, presumably not the ones they do not get complaints about.
: I am glad to see we are not on the list!
:
:
: This could be one reason:
:
: "Only companies with a customer base of 100,000 and above are
: included"
:
:
: - although the other probably is that people are happy with A&A!
:
: We are not quite 100,000 yet, but I am sure we will get there eventually

-:
:
I don't see how. Yes, your ISP is undoubtedly very good, but you're
also obscenely expensive. 80 odd 'activation fees'!! And 27 a month
for a severely bandwith limited service. Your business is either
primarily businesses, or you have a lot of rich residential customers.

Well, your correct that AAISP mainly have business customers, but they are
not the only ones. The setup fee is a one off fee, so an extra 30 on setup
compared to most other ISP's, then 28 / month is not that exoensive. Also
take into account that this is one of the few ISP's that actively support
servers to the extent of giving you full control over your DNS, and control
over a domain. In fact, the only thing A&A don't provide is a binary news
feed.
However, the most important feature of A&A is that you get a support
department who have a clue and are happy to tackle BT on behalf of their
customers.
All in all from an home users point of view, I doubt the average porn or
warez junkie will want to use A&A, but especially as most of their customers
are businesses, the network never slows down. Packet loss (other than when
BT screw something up) is none existant, ping times are fairly constant,
rather than bouncing around all over the place (as I experienced on BTO in
the past).

As for the bandwidth limited service, I think you misunderstand. The
bandwidth on the home 500 light account is not limited. However, A&A
provide usage graphs which keep track of your overall monthly usage. If for
any reason, you consistantly go over the allowed 20 MB / hour (which is
averaged over the whole month, not on an hourly basis) then A&A will ask you
to either reduce your bandwidth usage, or move to one of the unlimeted
accounts. Also, note that the bandwidth limits are only applied during
office hours, ie. 9 am to 6 pm on weekdays. Any usage outside that time is
acceptable providing that overall, your usage of the service is reasonable.

The reality is that most, if not all, ISP's will ensure that users are not
taking too much bandwidth consistantly, as this is the only way to ensure
that their network has predictable performance, and that they still make a
profit. The only difference is that A&A are honest enough to state their
views on usage in the terms and conditions when you sign up, rather than
bullying you into leaving the service (like the btinternet tactics used
against their dialup users).
One other thing, try as you might, I doubt you will be able to find an
unhappy AAISP customer anywhere (I think Monty has a grudge against A&A, but
he doesn't count as he seems to have a grudge against almost every ISP).
--

Martin
Old July 27th 03, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:09:10 UTC, CB wrote:

Well, I am not here to judge whether it is 'expesnive' or not, I just
know that competitors to A&A provide similar service with less of an
activation fee. I just don't see why A&A can get away with charging
more.

Well, first, it isn't your problem...you don't have to use them. Second,
you get good value IMO. I don't know of another ISP that allows you full
DNS control (by running your own DNS) to the level, and with the
support, that A&A provide for doing so. Nor one that will, for no extra
charge, give you as many static IPs as you can use. Third, their
customer service is very good; not that you generally need it for their
screwups, but for BT's. They are VERY good at chasing BT when BT have
cocked up your connection (which has happened twice to me).

So, in summary they 'get away with it' because they give good value for money.
Surely the likes of Zen, Nildram, Demon, Eclipse, Clara et al all
provide the same service?

Askl them if you can run your own primary DNS, with them providing
secondaries.

I realise this, but there are 'limitations'. This is what I mean. Your
use isn't 'capped' as such, but if you go over A&A's guidelines you will
be getting a friendly call..!

And how much is an unlimited account? Can someone please tell me why an
ISP like Nildram (again, just as good as A&A) can have a montly limit of
150gigs yet A&A has an average limit of 20megs/hour? I just don't get
it.

Perhaps A&A are 9a) more realistic and (b) have a bit more in hand to
invest in keeping the contention *at the ISP* to a reasonable level.

A completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) unlimited account is 75 quid AFAIR.
Not cheap, but that really does allow your maximum 5 gig or so a day
without any quibbles at all - as stated by them. Other ISPs may say
'unlimited' but the jury is still out.

Well, this works on the assumption you only use bandwith when in front
of your PC. I can go to work/university and leave my connection
downloading for days without trouble. heh.

One wonders what you download...but hey, you have a service that works
so stick with it.

Not debating this. I realise A&A are excellent, but that excellence
(whilst being no better than any other A grade ISP) comes at a heftier
price and with bandwith limits.

I guess we have to differ on the 'no better' bit. Literally no other ISP
seems to offer what I want.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Old July 27th 03, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

CB wrote:

snip
: Also
: take into account that this is one of the few ISP's that actively

support
: servers to the extent of giving you full control over your DNS, and

control
: over a domain. In fact, the only thing A&A don't provide is a binary

news
: feed.

Surely the likes of Zen, Nildram, Demon, Eclipse, Clara et al all
provide the same service?

Possibly for most people, but the activation fee does include a full doamin.
You can also get as many subdomains as you require, all with eperate pop
mail boxes for no extra cost. But for me, the deciding factor is that A&A
are the only ones I am aware of that supply as many fixed IP's as you can
justufy under ripe rules (that is you are not limited to 8), and also supply
a full IPv6 allocation at no extra cost.
In the past, I have only really used BTO (huge mistake, never to be
repeated, but they were the cheapest at the time), but when looking around,
I needed (read as wanted if you like) full reverse deligation of my IP
block, and A&A seemed to be the only provider to offer this facility.

snip

And how much is an unlimited account? Can someone please tell me why an
ISP like Nildram (again, just as good as A&A) can have a montly limit of
150gigs yet A&A has an average limit of 20megs/hour? I just don't get
it.

I'll leave that question for Adrian, the only thing that matters to me is
that I am at work during peak hours anyway, so the 20 MB / hour would not
affect me anyway. As for the other usage, I thought that I would be using
far more banwidth than I actually was. On the overall usage graphs, I never
get anywhere near the limits of the service, so it isn't a problem for me.

: Also, note that the bandwidth limits are only applied during
: office hours, ie. 9 am to 6 pm on weekdays.

Well, this works on the assumption you only use bandwith when in front
of your PC. I can go to work/university and leave my connection
downloading for days without trouble. heh.

Yes, agreed, but I long since downloaded everything that I wanted, so have
no need to do that day in day out anyway. Occasionally, I might need to do
a download during the day, but I really can't see how people can keep
downloading day in day out.

:
: The reality is that most, if not all, ISP's will ensure that users are

not
: taking too much bandwidth consistantly, as this is the only way to

ensure
: that their network has predictable performance, and that they still make

: profit. The only difference is that A&A are honest enough to state

their
: views on usage in the terms and conditions when you sign up, rather than
: bullying you into leaving the service (like the btinternet tactics used
: against their dialup users).

I fully agree with A&A's stance. I respect them as an ISP. HOWEVER, I
just feel their 'limits' are WAY too low.

Well, maybe for some, but from my point of view, I never come anywhere near
the usage limits of the account. I suspect that if you monitored your
overall throughput for a month or so, it wouold be a lot lower than you
think.

: One other thing, try as you might, I doubt you will be able to find an
: unhappy AAISP customer anywhere

Not debating this. I realise A&A are excellent, but that excellence
(whilst being no better than any other A grade ISP) comes at a heftier
price and with bandwith limits.

Not sure if theres a connection, but I also drink steller artios

: (I think Monty has a grudge against A&A, but
: he doesn't count as he seems to have a grudge against almost every ISP).

Monty is Ron Chew. I still remember what he said about me a few years
back, and if I ever had the fortune to meet him I am sure I could take
him up on some of his points. Oh well, ho hum

Yes, I've heard about Ron Chew.

--

Martin