Any UK (adsl or broadband)ISP offering static IP

Old July 24th 03, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frej Jensen

Default Any UK (adsl or broadband)ISP offering static IP

See subject,

and

is it normal to make a "direct" connection, or are it normal to use ppop(a
some sort of a
"network dialer" witch shuld be "behind" the IP network)..

thanks

Old July 24th 03, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry the Horse

"Frej Jensen" wrote in message
k...
See subject,

and

is it normal to make a "direct" connection, or are it normal to use ppop(a
some sort of a
"network dialer" witch shuld be "behind" the IP network)..

I am with Clara & I had to pay them 25 for the privilege of a static IP
address. www.adslguide.org.uk probably will tell yopu which suppliers will
offer this option.

Old July 25th 03, 02:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Frej Jensen wrote:
See subject,

PlusNet and Demon both offer static IP as standard - there are others....

is it normal to make a "direct" connection, or are it normal to use ppop(a
some sort of a
"network dialer" witch shuld be "behind" the IP network)..

Not sure I understand this bit. If you go for a router based solution
then it will make a connection to the ISP using PPPOA. Your local
network / computer will not need to "dial up" as such becasue the router
will be set as a "default gateway" hence any traffic not destined for
the same computer (or another machine on your network if you have more
than one computer) will get sent to the 'net via the router.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 25th 03, 02:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Smith

"Frej Jensen" wrote in message
k...
See subject,

and

is it normal to make a "direct" connection, or are it normal to use ppop(a
some sort of a
"network dialer" witch shuld be "behind" the IP network)..

thanks

PlusNet offer static IPs as standard for their ADSL/broadband services.

www.plus.net

Regards,

Stephen.

Old July 25th 03, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Frej Jensen wrote:

See subject,

We offer static IP as an option with all of our ADSL products (home and
business).

is it normal to make a "direct" connection, or are it normal to use ppop(a
some sort of a "network dialer" witch shuld be "behind" the IP
network)..

ADSL in the UK is typically provided as a PPP over ATM connection.

I am not sure exactly what your question is though. You can either use NAT
for systems behind your router or, if you have static IPs, just assign the
systems with a "real" IP address.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM get your @ukpost.com address now...
http://www.ukpost.com/ professional hosting/ADSL Broadband

Old July 25th 03, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frej Jensen

"Jason Clifford" skrev i en meddelelse

ADSL in the UK is typically provided as a PPP over ATM connection.

I am not sure exactly what your question is though. You can either use NAT
for systems behind your router or, if you have static IPs, just assign the
systems with a "real" IP address.

At the moment (here in Denmark), I have a some-sort of a "Ethernet"
connection
to my ADSL ISP, witch basicially means that I've connectet my
gatewaycomputer (firewall/local proxy),
directly to the modem.. So I am just a bit "scared" about the PPPoA
option.. Will that
work with Linux, or shuld I have a router(ie. speedstream) in between.. ?!

Frej

Old July 25th 03, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frej Jensen

"Adrian Kennard" skrev i en meddelelse
Frej Jensen wrote:
See subject,

All of our ADSL services have static IP(s).

And who are "you" ?!

Old July 25th 03, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Frej Jensen wrote:

ADSL in the UK is typically provided as a PPP over ATM connection.

At the moment (here in Denmark), I have a some-sort of a "Ethernet"
connection to my ADSL ISP, witch basicially means that I've connectet my
gatewaycomputer (firewall/local proxy), directly to the modem..

It's pretty much the same here - you set up your modem or router to use
PPP over ATM and then it just works.

You can use a modem (USB or PCI) or a router as you prefer.

So I am just a bit "scared" about the PPPoA option.. Will that
work with Linux, or shuld I have a router(ie. speedstream) in between.. ?!

Yes it will work. So long as your modem is supported by Linux (and most
are) and your kernel supports ATM and PPP (all contemporary Linux distros
support this) you should have no trouble.

In addition to UKPOST I run UK Free Software Network, an ISP
specifically for users of Linux and other Free Software platforms. I am
more than happy to explicitely support Linux/*BSD/UNIX connections as well
as Mac and Windows.

Jason Clifford
--
UKFSN.ORG Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/ ADSL Broadband available now

Old July 25th 03, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

Andrews & Arnold (http://aa.nu)

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Old July 25th 03, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin D. Pay

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:16:09 +0200, "Frej Jensen"
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

See subject,

Freedom2Surf offer a static IP as standard on their lowest price
option (I know, I have it!).

Martin D. Pay
D*mned spammers... I don't want a new mortgage!