DUMB QUESTION SPECIFIC TO NTL

Old July 24th 03, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Brokewind

Default DUMB QUESTION SPECIFIC TO NTL

Oh Joys - I have to set up a router for a mate on broadband. No major
worries methinks. He then informs me "It's NTL broadband". Yikes.......(he's
currently using a USB modem)

Here comes the stupid question - I take it the spec is pretty much the same
as BT's (???), Still needs filters (???) operates in a simular fashion.

Anything I need to be aware of before I agree to take this on? (The
attractivness of Winproxy is growing)

Old July 24th 03, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Oh Joys - I have to set up a router for a mate on broadband. No major
worries methinks. He then informs me "It's NTL broadband". Yikes.......(he's
currently using a USB modem)

I think some of blueyonders` cable modems have both USB and ethernet
outputs - you could always ask him for more info
Old July 24th 03, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BRG

"Ivor Brokewind" wrote in
:

Oh Joys - I have to set up a router for a mate on broadband. No
major worries methinks. He then informs me "It's NTL broadband".
Yikes.......(he's currently using a USB modem)

Here comes the stupid question - I take it the spec is pretty
much the same as BT's (???), Still needs filters (???) operates
in a simular fashion.

Anything I need to be aware of before I agree to take this on?
(The attractivness of Winproxy is growing)

Try he
http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/linksys.html

This covers one specific router, but the principles are the same
for most makes. Try a spot of RTFM before you start.

--
BRG
===
Old July 24th 03, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jock Mackirdy

In article , Ivor Brokewind wrote:
Oh Joys - I have to set up a router for a mate on broadband. No major
worries methinks. He then informs me "It's NTL broadband". Yikes.......(he's
currently using a USB modem)

Here comes the stupid question - I take it the spec is pretty much the same
as BT's (???), Still needs filters (???) operates in a simular fashion.

Your question was dumber than you thought g. The modem is connected like a
TV set-top box to the coax, not the copper pair in the figure-8 NTL cable. If
his NTL modem is like mine it has both USB and ethernet connections (you can't
use both).

Anything I need to be aware of before I agree to take this on? (The
attractivness of Winproxy is growing)

If you get a decent router (I use a Belkin 4-port cable/DSL router) the
instructions should be a piece of cake.
Stage 1 - get one PC working OK using the ethernet connection on the modem.
Stage 2 - insert the router and follow the instructions for MAC address
cloning.
Stage 3 - plug in the second PC.

I found the instructions with my router were very straightforward. You *must*
connect and power-up things in the order specified.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old July 25th 03, 02:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain Miller

"Ivor Brokewind" wrote in message
Oh Joys - I have to set up a router for a mate on broadband. No major
worries methinks. He then informs me "It's NTL broadband".

Yikes.......(he's
currently using a USB modem)

Here comes the stupid question - I take it the spec is pretty much the

same
as BT's (???), Still needs filters (???) operates in a simular fashion.

Anything I need to be aware of before I agree to take this on? (The
attractivness of Winproxy is growing)

Your mate will either have a stand alone Cable Modem or alternatively a
Cable modem that resides within his Cable TV set top box. Either way you can
connect to these via either USB or Ethernet. If you are using Ethernet into
a router then you may or may not require a X-over cable between the STB and
the router - depends on the model of the Modem/STB. NTL supplied both a
USB-Ethernet adaptor and a X-over adapter in my startup pack.

NTL is much more like a standard WAN connection that ADSL which uses a Dial
up adapter thingy as I understood it. When you connect their DHCP server
assigns you your IP address & you then need to register the MAC address of
the device that's connected (although you can have several registered).
Aside from that you just connect the thing up & follow the online
instructions that will appear in your Browser.

I use a D-Link 804 4 port 10/100 switch/router - Acts as a DHCP server &
supports PPTP & IPSec for VPN tunneling, DMZ & allows the opening of
specific ports as needed. The IPSec/PPTP are important of your mate thinks
he might ever use his broadband to access Office systems.

RTM basically!

HTH

I.

Old July 25th 03, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Brokewind

I did say it was a dumb question!

I was not aware how NTL delivered it's broadband - I have been educated :-)
I assumed (wrongly) that it came in on the phone pair as opposed to the
coax.

Even though I got the slapping and flaming I deserved I am now wiser - so
thank you all.

I note someone saying that the cablemodem (which is a stand-alone item next
to his pc) often has rj45's on already. This would be a bonus. I take it
that it would be feasable then to stick it into a hub and do away with the
usb and share thus? No need for a router, ICS or winproxy (the three options
I was looking at).

I'll find out just what the box is and open myself up for further flaming
with the next round of questions.

Thanks all :-)

Old July 25th 03, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Wilkinson

In message , Ivor Brokewind
writes
I note someone saying that the cablemodem (which is a stand-alone item next
to his pc) often has rj45's on already. This would be a bonus. I take it
that it would be feasable then to stick it into a hub and do away with the
usb and share thus? No need for a router, ICS or winproxy (the three options
I was looking at).

Our NTL cable modem came with an RJ45 output.

CHRIS
--
Chris Wilkinson - Dubna Systems
Due to virus bombardment please note that any email containing a virus will be
Old July 25th 03, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain Miller

"Ivor Brokewind" wrote in message

I did say it was a dumb question!

I was not aware how NTL delivered it's broadband - I have been educated

:-)
I assumed (wrongly) that it came in on the phone pair as opposed to the
coax.

Even though I got the slapping and flaming I deserved I am now wiser - so
thank you all.

I note someone saying that the cablemodem (which is a stand-alone item

next
to his pc) often has rj45's on already. This would be a bonus. I take it
that it would be feasable then to stick it into a hub and do away with the
usb and share thus? No need for a router, ICS or winproxy (the three

options
I was looking at).

No, you cannot connect a hub (or a switch) to the STB.Cable Modem - you need
to use a router - you can put what you like behind that. Lots of us use
Routers with 4/8 port switches built in though.

I'll find out just what the box is and open myself up for further flaming
with the next round of questions.

The trickiest part will be the MAC address thing. The easiest way is
probably to connect your mate's PC directly to the CM first & get that
working & register all the necessary information with NTL. Once you've done
that then you can connect the router in the middle - when you set it up (and
before you connect it to the CM you'll need to clone the MAC address off the
PC you used in the first place (making sure that the router you buy has the
ability to spoof a MAC address of course!). That way when you connect the
router to the CM as far as NTL is concerned its still connected to the same
MAC address that it was originally.

I.

Old July 25th 03, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

[...]

Cloneing should not be required nowadays, all that should be is for
the Cable Modem to be turned of a a short period (30 secs or so)
whilst you rejig your cabling. When the Cable Modem is turned on it
will accept the new MAC & Bob's your fathers mother...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old July 26th 03, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:03:41 +0100, "Ivor Brokewind"
wrote:

to his pc) often has rj45's on already. This would be a bonus. I take it
that it would be feasable then to stick it into a hub and do away with the
usb and share thus?

No, you can't do that - you only get one IP, so you can't use a hub..

No need for a router, ICS or winproxy (the three options
I was looking at).

You need a router. Thats all. I use a USR 8000-A which is a 4-port
model with builtin printserver, backup serial connection for dialup
modem, NAT, firewall and various other useful security features. Costs
about £45.