Warning if you're considering the Bulldog 2mbps service

Old July 24th 03, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

Default Warning if you're considering the Bulldog 2mbps service

It seems quite possible that I could go ahead and cancel with BT
Openworld only to be told by Bulldog that I can't have the 2mpbs
service.

In which case you can have the 1 mbps line instead, or just go back to 512
kbps but with a better ISP. Either way, you win.

Old July 25th 03, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart

"Andrew Jones" wrote in message
"Chris Jones" wrote in message
It seems quite possible that I could go ahead and cancel with BT
Openworld only to be told by Bulldog that I can't have the 2mpbs
service.

In which case you can have the 1 mbps line instead, or just go back to

512
kbps but with a better ISP. Either way, you win.

Yeah I suppose you could look at it like that.
Feel a bit better now !

If you can afford it - think about getting a second BT line. Then you get
your new provider set up and working on the new line before you terminate
the old. Essential if you want a seamless transition. I've oscillated
between two lines for some years....

--
Stuart

Old July 25th 03, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monty

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:50:07 +0100, "Stuart"
wrote:
Then you get
your new provider set up and working on the new line before you terminate
the old. Essential if you want a seamless transition. I've oscillated
between two lines for some years....

Good advice Stuart I have been doing this for a few years now also .
Monty .
Old July 26th 03, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maximilian K.

"Stuart" wrote in message

"Andrew Jones" wrote in message
"Chris Jones" wrote in message
It seems quite possible that I could go ahead and cancel with BT
Openworld only to be told by Bulldog that I can't have the 2mpbs
service.

In which case you can have the 1 mbps line instead, or just go back to

512
kbps but with a better ISP. Either way, you win.

Yeah I suppose you could look at it like that.
Feel a bit better now !

If you can afford it - think about getting a second BT line. Then you get
your new provider set up and working on the new line before you terminate
the old. Essential if you want a seamless transition. I've oscillated
between two lines for some years....

Hmm. Second BT line costs just about 7 quid pm as I recall (tell me if I'm
wrong).
I wonder whether it's possible to have two broadband connections over these
two lines, hey, why not, two separate phone lines & phone numbers, why the
heck not.
But then... there comes the idea of bundling those links. Provided that you
can steal an old worn-out router from the office, or even better, use
gateway computer with several ethernet cards... can't we have double
bandwidth?

(On second thought, may be not. You cannot get an AS for your home network.
Yes you still can have a double NAT and somehow split the traffic using a
routing table, however double download speed can not be achieved anyway. We
have a setup like this at work. Two leased lines accepted by just one cisco
that holds NAT. One line for generic internet requests, another for running
VPNs to other offices...

--
_______________________
Maximillian!

Old July 26th 03, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In article ,
Maximilian K. said......

"Stuart" wrote in message

[...]

Search out posts by Rev Adrian Kennard on this group. He and his
company, Andrews & Arnold, were devising a system for this.

(On second thought, may be not. You cannot get an AS for your home network.
Yes you still can have a double NAT and somehow split the traffic using a
routing table, however double download speed can not be achieved anyway. We
have a setup like this at work. Two leased lines accepted by just one cisco
that holds NAT. One line for generic internet requests, another for running
VPNs to other offices...

--
Mugwump

To reply, replace INVALID with pipex{dot}com
Old July 26th 03, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Woolley

wrote:
Then you get
your new provider set up and working on the new line before you terminate
the old. Essential if you want a seamless transition. I've oscillated
between two lines for some years....

Good advice Stuart I have been doing this for a few years now also .
Monty .

How many ISPs havce you been with in the last 5 years, Ron?

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old July 29th 03, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maximilian K.

"Rev Adrian Kennard" wrote in message
Maximilian K. wrote:
Hmm. Second BT line costs just about 7 quid pm as I recall (tell me if

I'm
wrong).
I wonder whether it's possible to have two broadband connections over

these
two lines, hey, why not, two separate phone lines & phone numbers, why

the
heck not.
But then... there comes the idea of bundling those links. Provided that

you
can steal an old worn-out router from the office, or even better, use
gateway computer with several ethernet cards... can't we have double
bandwidth?

Well, I have 4Mb/s at home (2x2Mb ADSL) and 500Kb/s uplink (2x250Kb/s).
Works nicely.

(On second thought, may be not. You cannot get an AS for your home

network.
Yes you still can have a double NAT and somehow split the traffic using

routing table, however double download speed can not be achieved anyway.

We
have a setup like this at work. Two leased lines accepted by just one

cisco
that holds NAT. One line for generic internet requests, another for

running
VPNs to other offices...

Well, I can run a single file transfer approaching 4Mb/s on my lines -:

It looks like you're able to bond the two lines together. Does your ISP have
to support this, or they may even be not aware that two lines are bonded?
If you don't own an AS, what's the network layout?
Do you use the Firebrick? does it use NAT? is there only 1 external DSL
address or are there 2 independent ones?...

.... in other words, everything about network layout is appreciated.
So far I can't seem to figure how it works, if it has more than 1 public
IP...
Thanks,
Maximilian!