Broadband down power line

Old July 25th 03, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
trappeduser

Default Broadband down power line

Saw on the news to night about people being online
with Broadband using electric cables. This is up in
Scotland but sadly I can't find a story on the net. I
even tried the BBC website.

Comments? anyone else hear of this?

Old July 25th 03, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
trappeduser

"Hiram Hackenbacker" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:29:46 +0100, "trappeduser"
wrote:

Saw on the news to night about people being online
with Broadband using electric cables. This is up in
Scotland but sadly I can't find a story on the net. I
even tried the BBC website.

You didn't see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2754203.stm ?

Comments? anyone else hear of this?

The BBC website isn't too hot at times but entering "scotland" and
"broadband" into their search engine located the story.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker

bugger, I missed that! I was looking at recent entries, since I only heard
the story on the news yesterday I thought the report would be recently
added.

Old July 25th 03, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

wrote:

Saw on the news to night about people being online
with Broadband using electric cables. This is up in
Scotland but sadly I can't find a story on the net. I
even tried the BBC website.

You didn't see
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2754203.stm ?

Comments? anyone else hear of this?

The BBC website isn't too hot at times but entering "scotland" and
"broadband" into their search engine located the story.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker

bugger, I missed that! I was looking at recent entries, since I only
heard
the story on the news yesterday I thought the report would be recently
added.

It's been around for a while..

http://ww1.prweb.com/releases/2002/9/prweb46837.php

but we do not want it anywhere in England. Let me reiterate, we don't want
it.

I'll just try to clarify that point, in case you might still think it's a
good idea..

*WE* *DONT* *WANT* *IT* *HERE* *!*

There, I do hope you got that ;-)

Steve

Old July 25th 03, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hutson

Hi,

I've been following this service from Scottish Hydro quite closely. I
live in a small village (Auchenblae) which is never going to get
broadband via convetional means.

It seems to have a lot of potenital, but it is almost impossible to
get any information out of hydro as to when the service will be
expanded out from the trial areas. I'm not sure (despite the upgraded
web site) that the service has actually even finished it's trial
stage. There has been no advertising included in their electricity
bills, or anywhere else for that matter.

I phoned hydro today to see if I could get more information about the
role out. All they could confirm was that it would be happening in the
following months as opposed to years. But they had no information
concerning what areas would be targeted.

This is my only realistic hope of getting broadband (satellite is too
expensive), so I hope they make a good job of it.

Hope this helps

Pete
Old July 25th 03, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Lewis

"Peter Hutson" wrote:

It seems to have a lot of potential

240V ?

What are the contention issues with this technology ?

--

Mark W. Lewis, Broadband for Long Ashton and Failand

www.failand.org.uk

Old July 25th 03, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
RichPuke

I think this is when the cable is 'wrapped' around the highest Electric
cable on the pylons, a system that 'Torch' use.
There are'nt any proplems as the top cable is the earth.

Could be wrong though.
RichPuke

"Phil" wrote in message

"Steve" wrote in message
In article ,
(Mark Lewis) wrote:

"Peter Hutson" wrote:

It seems to have a lot of potential

240V ?

more like 11kV to 250kV !! These are power lines, on big pylons don't
forget.

I thought the signal only went as far as the first transformer?

Thats one of the reasons why the US wernt adopting it (transformers on

poles
for each property?).

Then again I might be completely wrong!!

Cheers

Phil

Old July 25th 03, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

You are 100% correct - its called OPGW (optical powered ground wire) and the
technology is patented - Energis are the biggest user in the UK.

Old July 25th 03, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian grindey

Colin Wilson wrote:

Saw on the news to night about people being online
with Broadband using electric cables. This is up in
Scotland but sadly I can't find a story on the net. I
even tried the BBC website.
Comments? anyone else hear of this?

It`s been mulled over for several years - the telecoms arm of Norweb were

Norweb /Nortel to be precise.

trialling it at least 3 years ago IIRC, and I think Scottish & Southern
are currently undergoing trials too.

It was dropped because they had problems caused by the 11kv/415v
transformere in the local network substation it played havoc with the
signal.So it would be nessasary to be able to connect each one of the
substations back to a central location .That was deemed to be unprofitable
as BT had just brought ADSL on to the market .
--
Ian G

Outgoings Certified Microsoft free
Checked with Suse 8.2