Advice for a braodband router

Old July 25th 03, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jolltax

Default Advice for a braodband router

Hiya,

I am having boradband activated on 4th August and will be self-installing.
Karoo will be my ISP (I have no choice as I do not live in BT land).

Could anyone recommend which combined router/firewall/wireless/switch to use
to connect my small network to the net (3 PC's). It would replace an
existing 5 port 100 Mbps switch.

I play online games (CS, BF1942 etc), do video conferencing (MS Messenger)
and general surfing etc.

Do I need a uPNP compatible unit?

I have so far considered the Solwise, Netgear and SMC units - any comments?

Any advice very much appreciated

Jim

Old July 25th 03, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jolltax

Have you considered the Draytek Vigor 2660? Very very good.

It looks good but is very expensive, currently considering the following :

Alcatel SpeedTouch 510
Netgear DG824M

Cheers

Jim

Old July 26th 03, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Have you considered the Draytek Vigor 2600? Very very good.

It looks good but is very expensive, ...

You buy anything cheap, you pay for it in time and hassle to get it working
/ exchanged / replaced.
I wanted the Vigor 2600We, but it wasn't in stock, bought Netgear and wasted
days trying to get it working and then returning it and getting my money
back.
Had the Vigor working in 15mins and haven't touched it since, nearly 3
months now.
Regards,
Martin

Old August 2nd 03, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 26 Jul 2003 16:39, "Martin²" wrote:

You buy anything cheap, you pay for it in time and hassle to get
it working / exchanged / replaced.

I know "you get what you pay for" is a common comment, but my AR11
router is working as well as other routers 6 times the cost, so a
sweeping "pay for it in time and hassle ... working / etc" flies
over my head, like a mammal with a large trunk, colour pink :-)