Which OS?

Old July 26th 03, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

Default Which OS?

If the box is that old then I recomend that you get a new system - a good
quality box will cost a lot less than you paid for it then. It really
depends on what you want to use the machine for. If you go to a big high
street computer chain the first question asked *is how much do you want to
spend*.

All the OS's should allow the full speed link at 512 - if you get new
machine it will probable come with XP Home installed.

I would check what the waranty is with the computer system - some are for
home use and come with loads of extras that you dont need/want - some are
for business use and come with just enough to make it usefull. The home
machines dont always have the best quality grade of parts used in them -
they work ok but they are not made by some of the better manufactures.
Business machines have no frills and some people dont like them because they
are more expensive and not very good for games. I prefer them as they
usually have a better waranty. Some come with a 3 year on site waranty (they
fix it where you have the computer) - some *home* machines have a one year
return to base warranty (it has to be returned to the factory for repairs).

Also dont go for the latest/fastest model - you pay loads extra for the top
model - go for a model that has been out for a while the price is less. The
model will be out of date in a few years what ever model you get - so save
some money now.

I would personally recomend using ethernet rather than USB - but both work
ok.

foreverArsenal wrote:
Hi
I've been reading all posts on this group for a few weeks now trying
to get an understanding
of ADSL,some I understand,some are just to hi-tech for me (getting
old) .

Any how I've just signed up with Plus-net (yesterday),my exchange
should go adsl on the 30th
July.The package I've gone for is the USB modem,however the computer
that I have at this time
is running Win95osr2b so I need to upgrade,so my Q is is one Windows
OS better with adsl?
xp,win 2000,me.

The current processor runs @333 meg, with128 ram,8gig hd.Would these
specs allow full speed
with adsl (512bps)?.

I've had a quote for an upgrade of approx 450 ,this is for new
*Shuttle* motherboard (never heard of them,but seach found site of
Shuttle supplier but all in German) ,a 2.6 AMD athlon
processor and Win xp home installed,any comments.

Looking around diff sites,www.europc.co.uk for one I can buy one for
same or less .What would you do??.

The system I have now (Evesham micro) has been no trouble at all in
over 5yrs,cost a lot then
2300 and I've been well pleased with it,so what to do upgrade or new
comp box,comments.

Sorry for such a long post but due to spine problems had to retire
few yrs back so money
not what it was so need to get it right first time round.

If my line checked out no doublt I'll be posting again in some sort of
muddle :-).
Many thanks.