DG814 and VPN

Old July 26th 03, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graeme

Default DG814 and VPN

In the next 3 months, when the IT dept can pull their finger out, we should
be getting our office running with a VPN. The question is, will my DG814
(which I run from home) be capable? The Netgear web-site says it has "VPN
pass-through protection" but I've heard so much about how buggy the firmware
can be that I'd really like a view from an owner that has actually used VPN
(and what firware revision they're using).
TIA.

Old July 26th 03, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin White

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:38:47 +0100, "Ritchie"
wrote:

"Darren Lambert" wrote in message ...
I use my DG814 to connect to the office and to the networks of my clients.
It works perfectly, I've never had a problem.

Darren, have you (or anyone else for that matter) ever managed to connect from
your office to a VPN server at home via a DG814 (which is also at home)?

+-----------------------+
| HOME |
+--------+ /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\ | +-------+ +--------+ |
| CLIENT |---- INTERNET INTERNET ------| | DG814 |--| VPN | |
+--------+ \/\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/ | +-------+ | SERVER | |
| +--------+ |
+-----------------------+
--
Ritchie

Yes, I've successfully connected from an external client to a IPCOP
VPN sitting behind a 814.

Martin

Old July 26th 03, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graeme

+--------+ /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\ | +-------+ +--------+

+-----------------------+
--
Ritchie

Yes, I've successfully connected from an external client to a IPCOP
VPN sitting behind a 814.

Martin

What firmware version are you all using?
Ta.

Old July 26th 03, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mal Ice

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 12:53:38 +0100, "Graeme" wrotf:

+--------+ /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\ | +-------+ +--------+

+-----------------------+
--
Ritchie

Yes, I've successfully connected from an external client to a IPCOP
VPN sitting behind a 814.

Martin

What firmware version are you all using?
Ta.

4.6

I upgraded to 4.8 and the VPN connection got screwed. It just wouldn't connect
(Symantec VPN software). Reverting back to 4.6 got it working again.

With Symantec's client I did need to set up port forwarding on the router to
support VPN. Without this the client would not connect to my work network.

Mal
Old July 26th 03, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ritchie

"Mal Ice" wrote in message ...
With Symantec's client I did need to set up port forwarding on the router to
support VPN. Without this the client would not connect to my work network.

Mal, what ports did you have to forward to the VPN server? Was it just 1723
or 6 & 17 aswell?

--
Ritchie

Old July 26th 03, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren Lambert

Hi Ritchie

I have never connected from the office to home using a DG814, but obviously
Martin has, good to know.
I have used my home computer as a server for HTTP and FTP connected to a
DG814, once the port forwarding is setup, and its fine.

I have tried many firmware's.
I think my DG814 came with 4.3, which seemed terrible, constantly losing the
connection between the PC and the router, the router seemingly still
connected to the ISP though.
I upgraded to 4.7, which was much better, very reliable.
I then upgraded to 4.8, which regularly lost the connection between the PC
and router again.
I then upgraded to 4.9 RC1 which seemed just as bad.
So I went back to 4.7 and everything has been fine again........
Until yesterday when the router started dropping the connection to the ISP
after 3 or so hours. This is a new problem and I suspect it is BT or
Virgin.net, people have reported there was a major problem on BT's backbone
recently so I'm hoping it was this.

So 4.7 is the best for me, yet other people have reported this to be very
unstable.

HTH

Darren

ISP = Virgin.net

+--------+ /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\ | +-------+

+--------+

Old July 26th 03, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin White

wrote:

"Martin White" wrote in message

Yes, I've successfully connected from an external client to a IPCOP
VPN sitting behind a 814.

Martin

What firmware version are you all using?
Ta.

4.4 Nov. 05, 2002

Martin
Old July 26th 03, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ritchie

"Mal Ice" wrote in message ...
Mal, what ports did you have to forward to the VPN server? Was it just 1723
or 6 & 17 aswell?

1723 and 500

Thanks for the info. Port 500! That must be for IPCOP.

Has anyone managed to connect to a Win2000 VPN server that is sitting
behind a DG814 as previous posts suggest the DG814 does not support GRE?

--
Ritchie

Old July 26th 03, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graeme

wrote:

"Martin White" wrote in message

Yes, I've successfully connected from an external client to a IPCOP
VPN sitting behind a 814.

Martin

What firmware version are you all using?
Ta.

4.4 Nov. 05, 2002

Martin

Ah, good! That's the same version as I'm running. Thanks.