Which OS?

Old July 26th 03, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie Grant

Default Which OS?

If it's just for web browsing or downloading music that PC will be ok. It
should handle XP fine (XP min specs 233mhz, 64mb RAM), but if you don't want
to spend too much on XP, or don't want to waste 1.2Gb of HDD space, 98SE
should be fine on that system, and you will be able to run at full speed
512k, no trouble.

Old July 26th 03, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
foreverArsenal

"Eddie Grant" .****e wrote in message
: If it's just for web browsing or downloading music that PC will be ok. It
: should handle XP fine (XP min specs 233mhz, 64mb RAM

Hi Eddie

Many thanks for the reply.

Yes would be nice to keep cost down to a min not being able to work anymore
and a OS
upgrade would no doubt be cheapest.

When I got this comp five and a half yrs back USB was a thing of the future
but it did come with a USB port fitted but USB items at that time were not
around and you know I'm sure Win 95
does not work with it.
I'm no comp tech,do you think with a OS upgrade as you suggest would then
allow the USB
to work ok?I was told that I would need a faster processor and new
motherboard to support
xp,maybe the company I contacted were on the make.The motherboard fitted
now is a Chaintech 6 LTM.
Which ever way I have to go I need the USB port for my hopefully BB modem if
line ok,(these routers seem a bit complicated to me) if the above would
work then will seach for 98se upgrade then look for someone who knows more
than me to install.

Many thanks for your time.

--
Barry
If it ain't broke-don't fix it

/\ ~ /}
( ' o' )
( (,)

:
:

Old July 26th 03, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

I think that if you can get hold of an old copy on Windows 98SE you should
be ok with USB - yes USB was not supported with some versions of WIN95 or
you had to load extra software from Microsoft to enable it to work - I dont
know how well it worked either - I know that lots of USB wont work with
anything earlier than Win98. Note that Microsoft have withdrawn active
support for Windows 98 now - old security fixes/patches etc are still
available for download but nothing more will be deveoped.

If you think that your old computer system will still work - go with it.
Newer OS usually require better machines to run smoothly. The lowest spec
machine can run the operating system but they will do it much slower and
some people find this intolerable and upgrade. I have helped out some people
using Windows 3.1 on old machines - it still runs well. From past experience
if yo are going to upgrade the software BACKUP EVERYTHING - sometimes thing
go wrong ,not often but sometimes.

Upgrading hardware into the existing box might not be as simple as just
relacing the motherboard/CPU - sometime the poweer supply will need to be
upgraded to a more poweful model - the latest Pentium 4 / AMD processors
require a lot more power than machine 5 years ago. After upgrading hundreds
of machine I can say that sometimes it easier to get a new box and swap some
of the parts into it. A 5 year old disk drive is a lot slower than current
models.

Whatever you do good luck with it - if you need any advice send me an email

Old July 27th 03, 02:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
foreverArsenal

Keith Roberts" wrote in message
: I think that if you can get hold of an old copy on Windows 98SE you should
: be ok with USB - yes USB was not supported with some versions of WIN95 or
: you had to load extra software from Microsoft to enable it to work - I
dont
: know how well it worked

Hi Keith.
Once again thanks for all your advice,if the line checks out ok I will have
to get round to some
hard thinking.

Will have to tell wife no more clothes and no week away :-( new comp
needed,anyone got a tin hat............
Thanks again.

--
Barry
If it ain't broke-don't fix it

/\ ~ /}
( ' o' )
( (,)

"

Old July 27th 03, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

In article ,
(foreverArsenal) wrote:

Keith Roberts" wrote in message
: I think that if you can get hold of an old copy on Windows 98SE you
should
: be ok with USB - yes USB was not supported with some versions of
WIN95 or
: you had to load extra software from Microsoft to enable it to work - I
dont
: know how well it worked

Hi Keith.
Once again thanks for all your advice,if the line checks out ok I will
have
to get round to some
hard thinking.

Will have to tell wife no more clothes and no week away :-( new comp
needed,anyone got a tin hat............
Thanks again.

Before I bought my router, I used an old box as a gateway machine, running
s/w firewall and proxy+. I used to get full speed from the modem even
onto the rest of the network. It is a classic Pentium 166MHz with 96megs
of ram.

Your cheapest option, by far, if the computer you have does everything you
want, is to put a cheapish 10meg network card into it, upgrade Win98SE (SE
is important here) and buy a cheapish ADSL modem, like an eTEC or similar,
that has a RJ45 and a USB socket on it.

I was perfectly happy with this setup, and only upgraded to a Vigor 2600We
because I wanted wireless. (I could get a cable through to the lounge
easily ;-))

Total cost should not exceed 70UKP including cables.

One on Ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...2&item=3424224
126

(watch line wrap!)

HTH

- Steve

Old July 27th 03, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
foreverArsenal

--
Barry
If it ain't broke-don't fix it

/\ ~ /}
( ' o' )
( (,)

"Steve" wrote in message
:
: Your cheapest option, by far, if the computer you have does everything you
: want, is to put a cheapish 10meg network card into it, upgrade Win98SE (SE
: is important here) and buy a cheapish ADSL modem, like an eTEC or similar,
: that has a RJ45 and a USB socket on it.
:
:
: Total cost should not exceed 70UKP including cables.
:
:
: - Steve

Hi Steve
Thanks for your reply.

Going BB is still subject to my line test,exchange be enabled 30/7/03 so
should know
soon if green :-)or red :-(.

Yes I am happy with the comp I've got,used mainly for usenet and the odd
download,not into downloading music or sim large pkts.If able to get 98se
upgrade somewhere I may well like to
follow your advice and keep the cost down.

After 5yrs+ with this comp I have quite a few things saved I'd rather not
lose but only have 1.44
meg floppy for backup.
Only good thing buying another comp for me is USB support and not to techie
,connect up and switch on :-).
So if line ok may be back for more advice.
Many thanks.
Barry

:

Old July 28th 03, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Roberts

foreverArsenal wrote:
If able to get 98se upgrade somewhere I may well like to follow your

advice and keep the cost down.

Microsoft never released an upgrade to Windows 98SE
The Windows 98 Upgrade is for WIndows 98 first release.

If you want Windows 98SE you would have to do a fresh install and lose any
programs you had. You can back up data but programs need to be reinstalled.

If you buy these secondhand be sure to get the correct key that came with
the copy of Windows or it wont install.