networking question

Old July 27th 03, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
disz4me

Default networking question

this may seem a stupid question but.....
My exchange has just reached its trigger at around the same time I was
deciding on buing a router/hub.
Could I buy a combined adsl modem/router/hub today and just use the
networking router / hub functions (and use the adsl when BT finally pull
their fingers out)

Thanks

Old July 27th 03, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"disz4me" wrote:

this may seem a stupid question but.....
My exchange has just reached its trigger at around the same time I was
deciding on buing a router/hub.
Could I buy a combined adsl modem/router/hub today and just use the
networking router / hub functions (and use the adsl when BT finally pull
their fingers out)

Thanks

Hi,
yes, they work fine without the ADSL connected. However, the routers
only usually have 4 ports, so if you need more than that, you may need a
hub/switch anyway. Also, are you sure you will be able to get broadband when
it is finally available ? If not, then it could be a waste of money.

--

Martin
Old July 27th 03, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"disz4me" wrote in message
this may seem a stupid question but.....
My exchange has just reached its trigger at around the same time I was
deciding on buing a router/hub.
Could I buy a combined adsl modem/router/hub today and just use the
networking router / hub functions (and use the adsl when BT finally pull
their fingers out)

I would have thought that this was perfectly feasable. You may need to
perform some minimal configuration on the router - you'll either need to
configure it as a DHCP server to hand out IP addresses to the PCs (in which
case the PCs will need to be configured to obtain IP automatically) or else
you'll need to turn off DHCP and give the PCs addresses manually. In either
case, the IP addresses need to be in one of the "private" ranges 10.0.0.0 -
10.254.254.254, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.254.254 or 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.254.254
so they will get routed to ADSL correctly when that becomes available.

My parents are in the same position as you and I'm recommending that they
get a wireless ADSL router now so we can iron out all the problems with
wired and wireless before BT do their stuff in September.