Slightly OT - A networking question for the gurus out there

Old July 27th 03, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Craig Henry

Default Slightly OT - A networking question for the gurus out there

I have a 3COM 8 port 100baseT switch.

My Zoom router is plugged in to the uplink port.

My house is due to undergo some renovation in a few months so I will need 3
computers networked in my lounge. I currently have 30m of cable running in
to the lounge supplying one computer coming from my switch/router upstairs.
My question is how do I go about networking these 4 computers instead of
just 1 considering I thought that you could only bridge switches with a
cable length of less than 10m and also considering the uplink port on my
3com switch is out of action due to the zoom router.

By the way I am looking at WIRED not WIRLESS solutions

Thoughts appreciated

Craig Henry

Old July 27th 03, 11:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"Craig Henry" wrote:

I have a 3COM 8 port 100baseT switch.

My Zoom router is plugged in to the uplink port.

My house is due to undergo some renovation in a few months so I will need

3
computers networked in my lounge. I currently have 30m of cable running in
to the lounge supplying one computer coming from my switch/router

upstairs.
My question is how do I go about networking these 4 computers instead of
just 1 considering I thought that you could only bridge switches with a
cable length of less than 10m and also considering the uplink port on my
3com switch is out of action due to the zoom router.

By the way I am looking at WIRED not WIRLESS solutions

Thoughts appreciated

Craig Henry

Hi,
Why not buy a decent copper telephone extension cable from argos, B&Q or
wherever, and move the router into the same room as the PC's ? That way,
you don't have to worry about any other changes to your network.

--

Martin
Old July 27th 03, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Rumm

Craig Henry wrote:

My house is due to undergo some renovation in a few months so I will need 3
computers networked in my lounge. I currently have 30m of cable running in
to the lounge supplying one computer coming from my switch/router upstairs.
My question is how do I go about networking these 4 computers instead of
just 1 considering I thought that you could only bridge switches with a
cable length of less than 10m and also considering the uplink port on my
3com switch is out of action due to the zoom router.

Firstly this 10m cable limit business - in reality the limit is
significantly more than that - so no need to worry.

I am not sure that I am reading your question correctly - but it sounds
like you want to keep your existing switch and ADSL router upstairs, but
now have three computers downstairs where there is only one as at the
moment on the end of your 30M cable?

If this is the case, then the simplest way to do it will be to add a
second switch/hub in place of the existing downstairs PC, and then
attach the 3 PCs to that.

Don't get too concerned about the so called "uplink" port on the switch
- all it means is the tx and rx wires are swapped over so that you can
connect a hub to another hub type device with a straight through cable.
You can achieve exactly the same affect even without an uplink port
using a "crossover" cable.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 28th 03, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:07:54 +0100, "Stuart"
wrote:

And for a hub in the lounge - if you use dabs.com 'value' 5 ports (~15) -
they auto configure uplinks so you don't need crossovers.

The Dabs 5 port is a switch, not a hub.

Andrew.