Is Satellite BB worth it?

Old July 28th 03, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

Default Is Satellite BB worth it?

If you can't get wires based (BT) ADSL, is satellite based BB worth it?
What's the cost, and the technical issues involved?
Is it as fast, faster, or doesn't compete?
A friend is asking me, and I would like to be able to answer him
factually.
Old July 28th 03, 06:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bhoona

Hi TX2,

I dont think it is.

Check this out http://www.btopenworld.com/satellite/

cheers
Jonathan

"TX2" wrote in message
If you can't get wires based (BT) ADSL, is satellite based BB worth it?
What's the cost, and the technical issues involved?
Is it as fast, faster, or doesn't compete?
A friend is asking me, and I would like to be able to answer him
factually.

---

Old July 28th 03, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kolicha \(vinnieza & gio\)

"TX2" wrote in message
If you can't get wires based (BT) ADSL, is satellite based BB worth it?
What's the cost, and the technical issues involved?
Is it as fast, faster, or doesn't compete?
A friend is asking me, and I would like to be able to answer him
factually.

For me no, it's not worth it. i think it's based for big buissneses, and
when i look at it is saw it was 99 a month because of satalite rental but
their may be cheaper ones, like BT for 59.99:
http://www.btopenworld.com/satellite/pricing.html
hope this helps

Old July 29th 03, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:10:42 +0100, TX2
wrote:

If you can't get wires based (BT) ADSL, is satellite based BB worth it?

I'm waiting for SkyLinc www.skyLINC.co.uk which, like other broadband
by wireless' options, seems to be the way forward for those living in
the sticks.

This is a recent resonse to an e-mail enquiry:
Thank you for your interest in SkyLINC. As you are probably aware
SkyLINC will be launching the first commercial LIBRA system within
the next 12 months.
Please check the SkyLINC web site for regular updates.

Phil
Old July 29th 03, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Harvey

Hi everyone,
I'm currently looking for info on satalite solutions as well.

I'm pretty bugged because I found a really good solution that was aimed at
the consumer market and offered really great speed both UP and down. If that
sounds familiar, I think me and the OP would be very greatful

OP,
Remember that BT are almost always one of the worst solutions providers for
consumer level solutions

Take care

Simon

Old July 31st 03, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 "P R-J" wrote:

http://www.broadbandwight.com/1waysat.htm
A cheaper option
UK wide

I normally ignore "top posters"...
However, if going for cheaper options: http://www.satdrive.com/
(not a customer, but been keeping my eye on them for connecting
networks - hoping they have a solution at reasonable cost).
Old July 31st 03, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 "P R-J" wrote:

http://www.broadbandwight.com/1waysat.htm

from the FAQ: " Utelisat " ? I know what it should be, do you ?
Old August 1st 03, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

If you can't get wires based (BT) ADSL, is satellite based BB worth it?
What's the cost, and the technical issues involved?
Is it as fast, faster, or doesn't compete?
A friend is asking me, and I would like to be able to answer him
factually.

Ther's an interesting item in this week's Guardian Online:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/sto...008879,00.html
called Fast track to the shires.

The author like his Satellite BB

Phil

I had a chat with my wifi people yesterady. Apparently there has been
such a surge on interest in Broadband, that people are looking long and
hard at 'mixed technology' networks on a 'what it costs' basis - i.e. if
enough people in an area can demonstrate a need - somewhat under the BT
trigger levels - we are looking at something like 30 users in a
geographical location like a village as break even at 30 quid a month,
or less, if they are prepared to pay more - if they are prepared to
stump up a little 'advance payment' to cover installation costs.

If you are in such a situation, drop them and e-mail - wee
www.ukbroadband.net for details.

For those without ADSL and no hope of getting it, who want a contended
symmetric 2Mbps service or better, we are seriously looking at providing
it in any area where it can at least break even. I may be actively
involved in this new initiative, depending. We can't run at a loss, but
break even is not unreasonable in the early days. Initial projects
focussed on will be the east part of england - bucks, beds cambs,
norfolk suffolk essex and hertford, simly because the EEDA initiative
has seed corned some cash into those areas.

We have done a lot of feasibility studies and pilot installs: It works
pretty well, and if it doesn't, its not unreliable - either it works in
a given customer or it doesn't.

Technology is wifi for last 500m or so, and then mixed PtoP microwave,
or BT copper or megastream to hook into the main backbone. Support
quality will be an honest 'best effort' basis, since underwriting
guarantees costs a lot of money. That being said, the pilots have all
worked without break once installation problems had bneen resolved -
isually amounting to antenna relocation or antenna changing.

Contention ratios will not be preset in all likelihood, with effectively
10Mbps syymetric between on average 30-100 users for any broadcast node,
the contentionis set on te 2Mbps copper or megastream link paths.
Those will be run hard, and upgraded when peak traffic flow exceeds 50%
line rating for more than an hour or so a week on a regular basis.
Experience suggests this is when customers start to complain of low
speeds and congestion. Unless abused, no attemmpt to throttle individual
users will be made. Corporate users with higher guaranteed bandwidth
will share the same backhaul, but since these are likely to be the prime
bandwidth users, its is likely that residential customers will always
have access - out of working hours - to a better speed service than they
are in fact paying for

We don't think satellite is an acceptable service, simply because of teh
ugliness and size of the installations, and teh precise alignmnet needed
- adds a lot to the setup costs - and the overall delays for
geostationary makes the service unacceptable for gamers.

As a rough guide, it costs about 10,000 to set up a village node, and
about 7000 a year to run it. At 30 quid a month break even can be around
the 30 user mark. Note that the 7000 is critically dependent on being
able to share backhaul with other local users - a 2Mbps backhaul to
London costs between 14 and 20k depoending on location, with Internet
access at the end of it, hence the concentration on locales, rather than
individual villages.

Its all very early days for this project: Those interested should
contact the URL I gave and register their interest. If you can get about
100 users fairly close together (NOT same exchange necessarily, but
close enough to keep inter-location link costs down), its a doable project.