Does uploading effect your download speed?

Old July 28th 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgan

Default Does uploading effect your download speed?

If you think of the following scenario...

You are running a FTP and people are downloading from you at a constant 30k
(assuming you have a 512k ADSL) and then you start to download from a known fast
source and expect to download at around 60k it will not happen unless you
throttle your upload to allow acknowledgement packets to be sent to where you
are downloading from.

When you are downloading a file every so often your PC will send acknowledgement
packets (ACK packets) back to the source to confirm that the data has been
received with no errors. Then the next set of data is sent. As this happens
seamlessly you do not notice it in normal use unless all your upload bandwidth
is being used to do something else.

The same thing, as you have noticed, happens on a 56k modem or a xxx
connection - just less noticeable at greater speeds providing that you reserve
some of your upload bandwidth.

--
Regards

Morgan

How I fixed my noisy IBM drive
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

Old July 28th 03, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Jones

"Morgan" wrote in message
[...]

Just to agree with Morgan. My download speeds are severely restricted when
somebody is downloading from my FTP and using all my available upload
bandwidth.

Old July 29th 03, 02:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward Holt

"Andrew Jones" wrote in message
"Morgan" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed.

When someone is ftp'ing files from my machine I see my download speeds drop
to hellish levels.
I'm not sure if ADSL is half duplex or not but I only enable my ftp server
if I know I won't be needing to do any large downloads myself..

Old July 29th 03, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Morgan

When someone is ftp'ing files from my machine I see my download speeds drop
to hellish levels.
I'm not sure if ADSL is half duplex or not but I only enable my ftp server
if I know I won't be needing to do any large downloads myself..

It is the way that TCP/IP data transfer works - and the necessity to send ACK
packets back to the download source.

To maintain both uploading and downloading at their maximum throughput possible
just throttle the upload to 20k. That way you are leaving some bandwidth for the
ACK packets to be sent. There might still be a hit but not as noticeable.