Freeserve broadband - home networking - questions

Old July 28th 03, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bumble Bee Boy 2 at Google

Default Freeserve broadband - home networking - questions

Hi all! I know the main questions have been asked many times before,
but I have a few questions, and my current PC specs may affect the
answers...

Anyway firstly I'm getting Freeserve Broadband (yay!), that's not in
question before anyone warns me against it! I've got 2 PC's, one
has a standard (??) LAN modem, the other has an Ethernet card... Now,
I obviously want to use both PC's on the ASDL modem (at the same
time), so need some way of sharing or routing the connection...

Questions... Any ideas what the cheapest way of doing this is? I'm a
little confused (which I shouldn't be, having worked in NT Support for
the last year) as to the Ethernet factor?? Is this just a type of LAN
and if so can I hook them both into the one device? Or do I need to
get a LAN card for my 2nd PC to? I'm not sure if I need hubs, routers,
switches... It's all giving me one heck of a headache and I'd really
appriciate any advice!!! (apart from don't bother with Freeserve!!)

Si
Old July 29th 03, 03:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

For just two computers you could get simple ADSL/modem router like Zoom X44
which has one Ethernet and one USB port, which means you can access the net
from both computers independently and / or simultaneously. ( Netgear does
one too, it's cheaper but it's c**p, doesn't work.)
If need be you can later add switch / hub or wifi AP for more connections.
Regards,
Martin
PS Yes, don't bother with Vanadooo...

Old July 29th 03, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Russell

If you are referrering to the Netgear DM602, the manual states that you can
use either the USB or the ethernet port but not both at the same time!

Jason

Old July 29th 03, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Jason TOP posted:
If you are referring to the Netgear DM602, the manual states that you can
use either the USB or the ethernet port but not both at the same time!

You may be right, I never got that far because the USB software / driver
wouldn't load,
neither would it work in Ethernet mode !
Phone support (transfers to India) was no use whatever, so back it went !

Certainly the Zoom X44 can use both USB and Ethernet ports at the same time.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 29th 03, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Russell

In ,
Martin² typed:
Jason TOP posted:
If you are referring to the Netgear DM602, the manual states that
you can use either the USB or the ethernet port but not both at the
same time!

You may be right, I never got that far because the USB software /
driver wouldn't load,
neither would it work in Ethernet mode !
Phone support (transfers to India) was no use whatever, so back it
went !

Certainly the Zoom X44 can use both USB and Ethernet ports at the
same time. Regards,
Martin

Just point out that I had snipped original post!

Cant comment about netgear support, as the units I have installed have
worked flawlessly (at least till now!!), although these have all been on
ethernet basis.

Jason

Old July 29th 03, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bumble Bee Boy 2 at Google

"Martin²" wrote in message .. .
Jason TOP posted:
If you are referring to the Netgear DM602, the manual states that you can
use either the USB or the ethernet port but not both at the same time!

You may be right, I never got that far because the USB software / driver
wouldn't load,
neither would it work in Ethernet mode !
Phone support (transfers to India) was no use whatever, so back it went !

Certainly the Zoom X44 can use both USB and Ethernet ports at the same time.
Regards,
Martin

Thanks for all the advice everyone, really is a great help! I've been
looking for a Zoom X44 online but can't find it in any online shops?
I've found other Zoom routers but not an X44?

Si
Old July 30th 03, 03:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Thanks for all the advice everyone, really is a great help! I've been
looking for a Zoom X44 online but can't find it in any online shops?
I've found other Zoom routers but not an X44?

Sorry, my mistake it's actually Zoom X4, PCWorld.co.uk or shops sell them,
reduced by £20 to £79.99.
Might even find it cheaper online elsewhere.
Regards,
Martin