Draytek Vigor 2600We or Solwise SAR-715PVW?

Old July 29th 03, 02:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Default Draytek Vigor 2600We or Solwise SAR-715PVW?

Can't tell you about Solwise, but Draytek 2600We is highly recommended, easy
to set up, all the functionality you may want. See the 'Recommendation for
wireless ADSL router' thread right above your Q.
Regards,
Martin

Old July 29th 03, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie Wood

"Martin²" wrote in message .. .
Can't tell you about Solwise, but Draytek 2600We is highly recommended, easy
to set up, all the functionality you may want. See the 'Recommendation for
wireless ADSL router' thread right above your Q.
Regards,
Martin

Agreed, I have the Draytek (get the latest firmware).

It is (for me) faultless for gaming, great wireless range and as
Martin says, highly recommended.

Ed.
Old July 29th 03, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Matthew Haigh

In article , Martin²
writes
Can't tell you about Solwise, but Draytek 2600We is highly recommended, easy
to set up, all the functionality you may want. See the 'Recommendation for
wireless ADSL router' thread right above your Q.

I've bought a 2600W (i.e. the same as the We but with ISDN as well). I
have two complaints about it:-

1. The LEDs don't have any plastic shroud between them internally, so it
can be difficult to see which LEDs are lit and which are simply glowing
due to light from their neighbour.

2. The "keyhole" fixings underneath seem to be the wrong way round to me
- at least for my installation I'd rather have the aerials pointing
upwards (not for any performance reasons, just neatness and keeping them
out of the way of anything likely to bash them). FWIW wall mounting also
makes the writing on the unit upside down. It would be nice to have two
sets of fixings in the moulded base to allow mounting either way up.

Hardly major points, are they?

The wireless and ISDN work flawlessly, with the routing, dial on demand
and firewall configuration relatively simple to generate (assuming
you've done it before on other devices so understand the basic
concepts). Just waiting for the ADSL now, after BT have sorted out the
complete hash they made of installing the second line that is purely for
that (they disconnected the highway line and put POTS onto that pair,
leaving me without highway and all incoming numbers giving NU for 4
days!)

Matt
--
Matthew Haigh --
GCRSoft, providing SMS solutions since 1996...