Options considering our exchange isnt enabled

Old July 29th 03, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Harvey

Default Options considering our exchange isnt enabled

Hi guys,

Any ideas would be greatfully received. We ideally want to host a site on
our own property but we arent sure of our options and what they would cost.
I heard there was a sat solution that provided decent uplink speeds as well.

Any ideas?

Simon

Old July 29th 03, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Harvey

Hi there Ham,

The reason that i'd prefer to use our own server and premises is because one
and ones offerings and policies are to restrictive. Even using there "rent a
server" style solutions, I'm not allowed to install SQL Server and god only
knows what else. I need a flexible solution based on JSP and SQL Server.

The other thing is that I'm not in the least bit impressed by one and ones
record. They proudly boast about being the best customer service company but
frankly, thats Bollo%ks. I've been wanting to purchase a very high end
solution from them for the 3 weeks and its taken them between 3 and 5 days
for them to reply to the simplest questions. Even then they cant answer them
right. Shower of monkeys there. 5 days for a crappy response to a simple
question from who claim to be and were awarded acalaides for the best
customer service in this industry. God save us all.

We need the american attitude towards customer service ie, actually provide
some. Its not that frigging hard, but would be such a novelty

Simon

Old July 29th 03, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

In article ,
"Simon Harvey" writes:
Hi there Ham,

The reason that i'd prefer to use our own server and premises is because one
and ones offerings and policies are to restrictive. Even using there "rent a
server" style solutions, I'm not allowed to install SQL Server and god only
knows what else. I need a flexible solution based on JSP and SQL Server.

So sensible ISP's that don't want servers in their datacentre hijacked
due to the security black hole that is SQL Server.

JAB.

Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195
Old July 30th 03, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Harvey

Thanks guys!

Thats a help. I take on board what our friend was saying about SQL Server,
but:

Why can they just monitor what people get up to with it, or just help them
configure it. Insist on immediate security updates and standard security
practices (changing ports and stopping the facility that allows randoms
finding out the real port). 1&1 Could do that.
And how come other companies can do it.

Besides, 1&1 have shown me nothing but contempt for my attempts to purchase
a high end service from them. Customer Service Award my arse.

Simon