weird problem

Old July 29th 03, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anc

Default weird problem

martin wrote:

I fitted a pci 10/100 lan card to my pc recently and ever since whilst
surfing the net on broadband, every few minutes the broadband will
"freeze" (the computer will still work fine) for about 30 seconds and then
work perfectly for a few more minutes until it freezes again. I tried a
different lan card, but this has made no difference. i have an Athlon XP
1800, 512Mb DDR Ram, using win 98 SE and have a pci broadband "modem"
If i go into device manager and disable the lan card the problem goes
away! Any ideas please?

Is your pci lan card connected to another computer or hub? Is that assigned
a static or dhcp address? It may be trying to look for a non-existant
network, you can try assigning a fixed ip and subnet mask to the card, you
dont give any more details about your network.
Old July 30th 03, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anc

martin wrote:

The lan card is used to connect to my laptop using a direct crossover
cable, the lan card has a fixed ip address of 169.254.101.150.
the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0

What other info can i give you?

martin.

What is your lan card connected to ? As this is related to your problem, it
may help knowing how you have configure things.

Old July 30th 03, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:14:15 +0100, anc
wrote:

The lan card is used to connect to my laptop using a direct crossover
cable, the lan card has a fixed ip address of 169.254.101.150.
the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0

Is that a LAN IP address or one that your ISP assigned to you? I am no
expert in this, but it doesn't look like valid LAN IP to me. If you
can, try using a 192.168.x.x/255.255.255.0 address.

Andrew.
Old July 30th 03, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

Thanks for that, I have changed the ip address of the LAN network card on
the main pc (with the broadband modem) to 192.168.0.1 and the laptop to
192.168.0.2 and both subnet masks are 255.255.255.0
I can still access the broadband from the laptop, but now both computers
have become invisible to each other in network neighborhood!

help please.

wrote:

The lan card is used to connect to my laptop using a direct crossover
cable, the lan card has a fixed ip address of 169.254.101.150.
the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0

Is that a LAN IP address or one that your ISP assigned to you? I am no
expert in this, but it doesn't look like valid LAN IP to me. If you
can, try using a 192.168.x.x/255.255.255.0 address.

Andrew.

thats the address you get if dhcp fails to assign one so the pause is
caused by the pc trying to get a real address from a dhcp server which
it cant

Old July 30th 03, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I can still access the broadband from the laptop, but now both computers
have become invisible to each other in network neighborhood!

Windows networking is complete pants, and they may spontaneously appear
after about half an hour - give it time and see what happens ! (it`s a
well known problem)
Old July 31st 03, 06:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

Network Neighbourhood worked perfectly before I altered the IP of the Lan
cards.

"martin" wrote in message
Yes, they are in the same workgroup.

Mugwump wrote in message ...
In article , martin said......

Thanks for that, I have changed the ip address of the LAN network

card
on
the main pc (with the broadband modem) to 192.168.0.1 and the laptop

192.168.0.2 and both subnet masks are 255.255.255.0
I can still access the broadband from the laptop, but now both

computers
have become invisible to each other in network neighborhood!

help please.

Are they in the same workgroup?
--
Mugwump

Old July 31st 03, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

martin wrote:

Thanks for that, I have changed the ip address of the LAN network card on
the main pc (with the broadband modem) to 192.168.0.1 and the laptop to
192.168.0.2 and both subnet masks are 255.255.255.0
I can still access the broadband from the laptop, but now both computers
have become invisible to each other in network neighborhood!

help please.

Oh dear. Sometimes it pays to remove and install TCP/IP networking
completely after some changes.

Wrer you running Netbeui?

Old July 31st 03, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy

martin wrote:

Thanks for that, I have changed the ip address of the LAN network card

on
the main pc (with the broadband modem) to 192.168.0.1 and the laptop to
192.168.0.2 and both subnet masks are 255.255.255.0
I can still access the broadband from the laptop, but now both computers
have become invisible to each other in network neighborhood!

help please.

Oh dear. Sometimes it pays to remove and install TCP/IP networking
completely after some changes.

Do a search for computers, this normally restores any pc's on my network
that have gone missing.. (after I've changed their network name etc)

Old July 31st 03, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

thanks, got it working now by looking here http://www.homenethelp.com/

martin.

"huLLy" wrote in message ...

martin wrote:

Thanks for that, I have changed the ip address of the LAN network

card

on

the main pc (with the broadband modem) to 192.168.0.1 and the laptop

192.168.0.2 and both subnet masks are 255.255.255.0
I can still access the broadband from the laptop, but now both

computers

have become invisible to each other in network neighborhood!

help please.

Oh dear. Sometimes it pays to remove and install TCP/IP networking
completely after some changes.

Do a search for computers, this normally restores any pc's on my network
that have gone missing.. (after I've changed their network name etc)

Wht you should end up with is the router picing up the DHCP derived
public address on its WAN interface from the ISP, and having e.g.
192.168.0.1 set manually on its LAN interface, then manually set the
PC's to e.g. 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 as their actual addresses, all
with 255.255.255.0 netmasks, and manually set the default route
(gateway) on the PC's to that of the router, which I assume is set up
for NAT.

If netbios is enabled over the TCP/IP stack (or indeed if Netbeui is
enabled on both PC's) then the PC's should be smart enough to 'see' each
other provided that the upper laers of file sharing etc etc are enabled.

Netbios brodcasts around to find out whats in te 'network neighborhood'
but if the PCs are both not running Netbeui (which doesn't use IP) and
not set up on the same netweork (IP addrss or netmasks wrong, or 'obtan
address automagically still checked) or the machines are not configured
tp act as file sharers, then yopu will get probnlems

You can test from a DOS box using the net use command AFAICR..but I
forget the syntax...I remember mounting a drive that was the other side
of the english channel using net use...:-) Before I discovered the magic
of lmhosts.dat..using the actual IP address as argument to identify th
remote server.

Ther are alos useranme/wortkgrup amd other issues. One just ploughs
through teh pretty boxes removing and adding things till it all works.
As someone else said. MS networking is pants. Its curuious to see what
happens to packet loss if you set up TWO gateways as well :-)

.