Cheapest Way to get Broadband?

Old July 29th 03, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Draxen

Default Cheapest Way to get Broadband?

"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote
in message ...
I want broadband but I'll be moving house in a couple of months so which

is
the cheapest way to get broadband taking into consideration I don't know
where I'll be moving to?

I've checked a postcode checker and it says I can get ADSL. Am I right in
thinking that all I need is a micro-filter to plug into a phone socket

plus
an ADSL modem? I know the micro-filters are just a couple of quid, but how
much are internal ADSL modems?

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation when you're moving house, especially when
you don't know exactly where you're moving to.

Odds are that your new home won't have had DSL at any time yet, ask the
current owners. If it hasn't then you'll need to place an order with an ISP
to get it installed, they work with BT to do a line check (which *may*
involve a visit from an engineer), but none of these things will happen
until the current home owners place an order. See where the catch-22 kicks
in now ?
If you agree to pick up the cost for all that while current owners still
live there then you'll save some time but only if they're agreeable coz any
contracts signed will be in their name(s). So a degree of trust or some sort
of legal agreement between you is necessary. If you go for an ISP with a
month contract then you'll be out of pocket between 100 - 200 pounds at most
if things go wrong.

The ADSL checker is just a rough guide, it means if all goes well there
shouldn't be anything stopping you getting the service, but quite a few
things can go pear shaped. Old wiring, either in the house or street, you
may be on the border of two telephone exchanges one of which may not be
enabled, aluminuim instead of copper wiring (it's been known) etc.